Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WelshBoa
What's DOS?
Views: 1,751
Message 1 of 4

Z50-70 SSHD

I have just purchased the above laptop which apparently has a 1TB SHHD purchased from PC World.

They only had "pre-set up" laptops which then come with a recovery USB stick.

I appreciate there seems to be a large sticky thread on the partitioning but currently they have set it up with approx

880GB inc OS and 20GB as a separate partition.

I'm no expert on SSHD but I would have assumed its only a small percentage of the total size that uses the SSHD? Or am I wrong? And if that is the case, wouldnt there be a smaller partition just covering the OS for quicker boot up, and then a larger partition for pics/music etc?

It just seems a strange way of setting it up....

And how do I check on the actual laptop if it is a SSHD?

Many Thanks

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,740
Message 2 of 4

Re: Z50-70 SSHD

Welcome to the Lenovo Community,

What you have is a Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD) which is basically a regular hard drive with solid state storage on it.  The usual amount of solid state storage is 8GB.  Windows will only see the drive as a whole and will not see the solid state storage separately.  What goes into the solid state storage is controlled by the drive's controller chip and the user has no control over it.  As the system is used the drive will learn what items or data to store in the solid state storage to improve performance. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

WelshBoa
What's DOS?
Views: 1,729
Message 3 of 4

Many thanks for the quick response which explains the SSHD.

Is it worth me working through the 100odd pages of the sticky thread in respect of the partition given the above set up? I just want some confidence that what the pc world people did was best way forward! Cheers
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,717
Message 4 of 4

I'm not familiar with PC World so I really can't comment on how they set up new systems.  If it were me I would use Windows to view what is on the smaller partition that they created.  My best guess they are using the smaller partition for backups or maybe an image file.  Since the smaller partition is only 20GB in size you might just leave it alone as you have plenty of space on the larger partition.

Since they gave you a recovery flash drive that should alleviate any concerns about restoring the system in the event of a serious crash or hard drive replacement provided the flash drive contained all the necessary recovery files. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors