Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pievis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,526
Message 1 of 6

Z50 70 issues disk usage

I'm having an hard time with my 3 weeks new lenovo laptop and I need some help.

When I bought the pc it came with windows 8.1 and even then I stareted having major lag and issues related to keyboard and interface responsivity in general. As I found out in some forum discussion the problem was caused by a windows 8 service that frequently occupied the disk write time, disabling the service helped making my brand new pc usable, even though I experencied some lag time to time. 

Time passed and yesterday I decided that windows 8 is not for me, so I turned the bios boot to legacy and I've installed my copy of windows 7, hoping to not experience lag anymore. Unfortunatly this didn't resolve my lag problem that now I think might be caused by a not properly working hdd. Reading discussion online about people that solved this problem only buying a brand new SSD drive only drives my fear, because I can't invest in that. 

Reading on the forum brought up a lot of related problems and I hope someone can give me some direction about what to do, because at times while programming or using multiple chrome task, the system becomes unstable and useless. This is the name of my hdd: st500lt012-1dg142 and these are the tests I did: 

- chkdsk said I've no problem in file system or hdd faults

- checked the drivers: somehow I saw that on w8.1 intel rapid storage tecnology was installed, but with a small check I noticed that my hdd is not SSD even a bit (I think), trying to install intel rapid storage technology on w7 just prompts up an error (missing file or something like it)

- run the seagate tool for windows and told me I've no problem

At this point I don't know what to do to identify the problem, I hope someone can tell me something here

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,512
Message 2 of 6

Re: Z50 70 issues disk usage

hi pievis,

Welcome to the Forums.

Can you consider the following:

1. Consider running one more diagnostic on the drive using HDTune to verify the HDD's health.

- http://www.hdtune.com/faq_1.html

- Link to picture (failing HDD)

- Similar thiread

2, Follow the guides below on how to turn off the HDD's power saving mode and HDD burst ignore time.

- Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never

- Power Options - Add "Hard disk burst ignore time

As for the missing drivers error when installing the Intel RST driver, can you check this thread on how to resolve it.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

pievis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,500
Message 3 of 6

I don't know if the issue is solved of his own, after a windows update everything seems to work fine, except for some random slowdown. Anyway I've used hd tune, here's the screen:

screen.jpg

I don't have information on information recabrility count, but I guess it's all fine.

My question is: how IRST affect a pc without a SSD drive? I think mine isn't even an hybrid, but I'm installing it anyway.

thanks for the reply anyway, I'll return in some days to report how it's going.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,474
Message 4 of 6

hi pievis,

That HD Tune health result shows ok so there's definitely nothing wrong with the HDD.

As for an SSD without the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) software, you won't notice any significant difference especially if you have the OS installed on the SSD as they're natively fast and uses low power consumption (I personally have this setup and the machine's been running smooth).

On other models though (eg. IdeaPad U310, IdeaPad U410, etc.), the Intel RST software is required as most of these units are configured in RAID.

More info:

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

pievis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,456
Message 5 of 6

I think my disk is partitioned in raid? I don't know, maybe it's trash left out from the windows 8 to 7 passage.Untitled.png

anyway I don't know, my pc is still a little unresponsive at times, windows take a few seconds to close and even when I use the right click on desktop or mouse it sometimes takes 1-2 seconds to open, thing that never happened on my old and modest pc. Any ideas about what can I do to understand if there is something that is slowing down the machine? I thought it was the hdd but it seems to be running smoothly recently.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,443
Message 6 of 6

hi pievis,

From the disk management screenshot, the machine is configured with only one disk drive to store data, thus, it's not set up in RAID as this feature requires two or more drives.

As for the slow shutdown, Windows usually terminates connected devices, services, and programs running in the background/foreground before it shuts off.

To speed up the shutdown / boot-up times, you will need to:

1. Trim down the services and startup items that are set to automatically run after you sign-in to Windows by performing a clean boot and enable only important apps eg. Lenovo utilities, antivirus, etc.)

2. Follow this guide on how to speed up shutdown times.

As for the right-click menu issues, this is most likely caused by the context menu loading additional items when you do a rightclick on a certain app or on the desktop.

To speed it up, try to:

1. Download and run ShellExView

2. Sort the "Type" field to show Context Menu

- Link to picture

3. Speed up the rlight-click menu by temporarily disabling unnecessary items (i.e. antivirus, and other 3rd party programs) and reboot- see this guide as a reference

When finished, the context (right-click) menu should now load faster.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors