Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saveberna
Paper Tape
Views: 3,834
Message 1 of 12

Z50-70 - keyboard issue, typing same letter twice

I got a new z50-70 core i7 running win 8.1, 8gb ram, 15'' screen.

Since I opened the box and turned it on for the first time, I keep getting this issue: sometimes, when I hit one key in the keyboard (normaly the "A", but it has happened to other keys, E, O, M...) it types it twice. For instance, hit the A, got AA. It is not something that happens all the time, but it happens a lot.

I don't believe it is hardware related, or it wouldn't happen with every key. Also, it has nothing to do with the keyboard repeat config, as it kept happening even when I have disabled it. Since this happened the first time I opened it, I can't even return to a previous restore point.

I was thinking this might be driver or virus issues. Does somebody have a clue on how to solve it?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,813
Message 2 of 12

Re: Z50-70 - keyboard issue, typing same letter twice

Hi Saveberna,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with keyboard in your Lenovo Z50-70 laptop.

Please connect a external keyboard and check for the issue, also try to boot the system in safe mode and check for the issue.

Also try to uninstall the keypad driver and check for the issue.

Do post us back if the issue still persists.

Best Regards

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

saveberna
Paper Tape
Views: 3,762
Message 3 of 12

Hi Ashwin.

I tried your recommendations, but it still didn't work. Aren't you familiar with any bugs or virus that might have this simptoms? I had a Lenovo laptop before, back in 2006, and I remember I had a similar issue.

Thanks for your reply!

Guru
Views: 3,759
Message 4 of 12

Not sure if this is a hardware issue, but maybe it has something to do with your typing style?

Go to Control Panel >> Keyboard. Change the Repeat Delay and Slow down the Repeat Rate, maybe that can help.

Check in the box below that to check if your keyboard works fine with different settings. Make sure to click Apply each time you change the setting, before you test it.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
saveberna
Paper Tape
Views: 3,736
Message 5 of 12

Before I resorted to this means (asking for help in this community) I did a lot of searches on the internet and tried everything, such as:
- testing a different external keyboard

- changing the keyboard configuration to slow the repeat rate

- reinstalling the keyboard driver

- running anti-virus and anti-malware

Nothing worked.

It  is not a hardware problem, or it shouldn't happen with the external keyboard. it's not configuration, since the double letter appears immediately after typing, even when letter repetition is disabled. It's not the driver, as I have resinstalled the most current one available in Lenovo site. The Anti-virus didn't show anything, but I know they are not entirely reliable.

This problem came with a brand new computer, so this came frm the factory. 

I bought this laptop at Amazon US, but I live in Brazil, so I can't return it, I rely on a technical solution I can perform myself. Isn't there any additional solution available?

Thanks everybody for your help!

Guru
Views: 3,729
Message 6 of 12

Try it in a bootable Linux environment? Maybe it's some weird software causing it.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
john_lenovo_use
What's DOS?
Views: 3,552
Message 7 of 12

i have lenovo z40-70 and it has the same issue. i can't type regularly for one minute without having to delete and retype.

lenovo definitely sucks.

it's a chinese quality computer with cheap plastics and cheap hardware.

Craigellachie
What's DOS?
Views: 3,522
Message 8 of 12

I have the same problem with my Yoga 3, brand new. Doesn't happen with an external keyboard. In my case, it's most common with the letter s.
Tilator
Punch Card
Views: 2,554
Message 9 of 12

I have Yoga 3 Pro and had same kind of problem. Most common the error is while word has double letters. It seems to make them triple quite often.

I have my keyboard settings "repeat rate" set to maximum, becuase I like to type fast. This "tripling error" seems to be related to tis setting while it disappeared as I set repeat rate two steps slower. Well - it of cource might still be HW design problem, but at least this seems to help in my case.

Tilator
Punch Card
Views: 2,520
Message 10 of 12

As an addition to previous the problem seems not to be totally away.

HW problem is very possible because it seems to happend more if key is not pressed completely to the bottom. That happends more often with double letters leading to tripple.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors