Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
teltaru
Punch Card
Views: 18,129
Message 4 of 167

Z50-75: Gradient colors, color banding, dark/ dim display (Faulty display?)

I'm experiencing a horrible gradient issue on my new Z50-75. Everything else looks fine but the quality of the display is.... terrifying. I'm afraid this is not an unprecedented case. Is it possible though that Lenovo would sell such a display in 2014? I can literally count the shades of colours. First I thought it was a software issue, I checked every possible settings, gamma, saturation, brightness, bitrate etc. but all seem fine. They promote this laptop as a multimedia device; screen renders all multimedia features unenjoyable. Counting shades in 1080p movies? Please tell me this is fixable.

Link to picture/image

Mod comment: Over sized picture converted to link.

3/25/15 EDIT: Revised subject line to improve searchability. Amy_Lenovo

3/31/15 EDIT: Revised subject line a 2nd time. Amy_Lenovo

ursidae1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,665
Message 1 of 167

*** Z50-75 Display Issues ***

I bought the Z50-75 laptop a week ago. It comes with a Full HD display, FX7500 and R7 M260DX. I installed Win 8.1 Pro on it.

The display seems very dark even on the highest brightness set through Win and AMD drivers.

I tried all suggestions listed in many similar topics such as turning off adjustable brightness, tried a number of drivers, turned of all power-saving and brightness adjusting functions, tried the registry fix that works for some P series laptops, tried pressing f12 key while booting, tried with and without the lenovo energy manager driver/software.

Nothing seems to make it brighter and more clear. Also some things appear very blurry or the screen and out of focus.

Is there a fix or are these particular displays that bad? Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you

ursidae1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,635
Message 2 of 167

Re: *** Z50-75 Display Issues ***

Ok i decreased the size of items from default 125% set by windows to 100% and now i do not have blurry stuff. It is all crisp.

The brightness issue remains though. I just put my old laptop lenovo g580 next to this screen and the white is sooo much whiter than on this one. The brightness issue persists. The f11 and f12 buttons work but even at max brightness it is not a bright as the g580 which display has worse characteristics when it comes to brightness.

The brightness on g580 is 196.6 cd/m² and on this z50-75 is 223.9 cd/m² so it should be much brighter yet it is not.

farkaspal
What's DOS?
Views: 17,583
Message 3 of 167

Re: *** Z50-75 Display Issues ***

Hi,

I bought a Z50-75 yesterday with r6 m255dx. I had the same issue, but for me updating the drivers (after downloading AMD's Catalyst software) solved the brightness issue. I also bought a G505s today (Christmas presents) and the initial brightness difference in favor of the G505 was very apparent before the fix, the Z50-75 had approx 70% brightness of the G505 on max setting. After the fix, the z50-75 is slightly brighter than the G505s, which is already in line with available statistics.

However, the driver update did not fix another very annoying issue - the displays seems to have like 65k color depth instead of 32 bit. Especially in the red and orange parts I can literally count the various shades on gradient surfaces, and can not make this issue dissappear by adjusting color settings (I tried adjusting all settings through complete range). In comparison the G505s has a much better display (no similar issue noticeable at all) despite the fact that it was cheaper and if I recall correctly, it has the same display as the g500 which is a significantly older model compared to z50-75. Also, colors of g505 are much more saturated on base settings (about 25%) and lack the strong bluish tone of the display of z50-75... But the saturation and the bluish cast can be mitigated with adjusting color settings, the problem is with the very limited color depth - it looks like traveling back 20 years in time. If anyone has a suggestion to solve this, I would really appreciate - I would hate to give notebook for present that has such a bad display.

Thanks

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 17,984
Message 5 of 167

Re: Gradient issue: Z50-75 (Faulty display?)

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

A couple of suggestions......

Have you tried using an alternate HDMI or VGA display to see if the problem persist ?  If the picture is fine on a LCD T.V. that would indicate to me that the problem is with your laptop's display.  If the gradient issue persist with both the internal and exteral displays then it is a graphics issue with the motherboard.

Have you checked with Lenovo's website to see if there are newer video drivers available than what is installed ?

Here is a link to Lenovo's Download page for your model.,,,,,

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-z-series-laptops/lenovo-z50-75

Happy Holidays !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

teltaru
Punch Card
Views: 17,973
Message 6 of 167

Thank you for yout kind reply! Everything seems fine on my FHD LCD TV. A couple of days ago I updated my video card driver to the most recent one. I can't recall if the problem was there with the old driver too though, as I started watching movies after updating my driver. The problem is not unique to videos, but harder to spot while browsing or doing basic stuff. I've searched the web for problems associated with my model's display and it seems others are having this issue too. If it wasn't a diagnosed as a problem but the poor quality of the LCD I would be very disappointed. I'm desperate for a solution.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 17,956
Message 7 of 167

The only other thing I can think of at the moment would be screen resolution.  Have you tried any other resolution settings ?

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

teltaru
Punch Card
Views: 17,952
Message 8 of 167

Yes, one of the first things I've checked. No luck.

Yojiro
What's DOS?
Views: 17,907
Message 9 of 167

I'm having the same problem. I tried to completly remove and reinstall the graphic driver to the newest version, but it's still the same. It looks terrible.
I hope this can be fixed. I need good graphics for my work as a graphic designer...

Fiserjo
Paper Tape
Views: 17,870
Message 10 of 167

I am experiencing the same problem. But, one thing I know for sure. Never buying Lenovo laptop again. I can't even watch movies, because it is so f***ing terrible. I just threw out of a windows about 700 dollars. Great... And that's not all. I can't even run dual graphics, but that's AMDs problem. Another reason not to buy this thing. You buy a device and can' even use it...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors