Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsonx
Paper Tape
Views: 2,550
Message 1 of 7

Z50 Fan Running Constantly

I just bought a refurb Z50-70 from the Lenovo outlet.  Straight out of the box at startup the fan was running full blast, though the computer remains quite cool -- not warm in the slightest.  Even in sleep mode, lying on its front, the fan was running 100%.  I have the latest BIOS and have downloaded the most recent updates to the power manager.  

I got this computer for a nice price and I'd hate to have to return it... Any suggestions?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,526
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z50 Fan Running Constantly

Welcome to the forum!

Since the machine is more than likely under some kind of warranty I would avoid opening it up to see what the problem is.  If it were me,  I would just return it for replacement or repair.  The fan problem could be an indication of other things that maybe wrong with it.  Best to have it checked over.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

neilmeurs
Paper Tape
Views: 2,491
Message 3 of 7

I have the same problem but lenovo said that it is normal and that the laptop works 100% 0_0.

well it does not get hot but it is not a pleasent or something.

maybe they will release a bios update for the fans?

(lenovo outlet shop already opened the laptop to see whats the problem)

heard that a lots of people had a problem with it.

neilmeurs
Paper Tape
Views: 2,485
Message 4 of 7

is it fixed yet?

mvg

Neil Meurs

wilsonx
Paper Tape
Views: 2,479
Message 5 of 7

Hiya. Thanks all for the replies.  I ended up contacting Lenovo support.  They walked me through running a vent cleaning through the energy manager (basically it just cycled the fan on and off).  That didn't work, so they had me send it in for repair.  I got it back after a couple of weeks and now it is completely fixed.  The fan never turns on (at least audibly) and the laptop remains cool!

The Lenovo repair shop was pretty excellent. They continually updated me, even when they had nothing to report other than "we  are still waiting for that out of stock part we ordered."  It was very easy.  So even though I got a bum computer out of the box, I'm still very happy with Lenovo!

neilmeurs
Paper Tape
Views: 2,477
Message 6 of 7

do you need to buy a lenovo here to get that support? (I bought it on amazon and have it for 18 hours and gets crazy about the fan). if lenovo gives support then I am willing to accept that but if they don't then I have no other choice then return it to amazon and hoping that they can give my money back on my bank account. it was bought new btw.

CaptainJack_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 466
Message 7 of 7

faced with the same issue i opened task manager and stopped mcafee services that i recently uninstalled - the fan slowed down and was quite for a while but then after reboot - same issue but no mcafee service running.  problem persists...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors