Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tidididi
Paper Tape
Views: 753
Message 1 of 11

Z500 - FN key problem after BIOS update

Hello!

I updated my Z500 BIOS to 1.21. After the update I am not able to change sound volume/mute or change the brightness just by clicking F1-F12. I am able to do that by clicking Fn +F...

Please, help me. Where can I find original Z500 BIOS  to use it instead of 1.21.?

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 722
Message 2 of 11

Re: Z500 - FN key problem after BIOS update

Have you checked your BIOS Setup options after the BIOS upgrade?  There should be an option available for configuring the Hot Keys.  Please see my link to the Knowledge Base article below.....

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Z400-Z500-P500-How-to-swap-function-keys-to-jus...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

tidididi
Paper Tape
Views: 719
Message 3 of 11

Yes, I did. The only one similar option is "HotKey": Enabled or Disabled. I have it Enabled.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 715
Message 4 of 11

Have you also tried loading the BIOS Defaults as the Knowledge Base article mentions.  This may help rule out any configuration problems with the Hot Key feature in the BIOS Setup.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 713
Message 5 of 11

@tidididi wrote:

Hello!

I updated my Z500 BIOS to 1.21. After the update I am not able to change sound volume/mute or change the brightness just by clicking F1-F12. I am able to do that by clicking Fn +F...

Please, help me. Where can I find original Z500 BIOS  to use it instead of 1.21.?

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

After the update you should set the bios to default values and save before exiting. The hotkey option is use to enable or disable the Fn keys pressing instead of the normal pressing of the shift + Fn command to initiate the special functions.

tidididi
Paper Tape
Views: 713
Message 6 of 11

Yes, BIOS defaults was the first thing I did.

To be honest I am interested in stock BIOS, it was 1.15 or even 1.05. I have no idea where I can find it.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 700
Message 7 of 11

@tidididi wrote:

Yes, BIOS defaults was the first thing I did.

To be honest I am interested in stock BIOS, it was 1.15 or even 1.05. I have no idea where I can find it.

The 1.21 is the only one available in the Lenovo site. You should have made a backup of the old bios before doing the update. There are copies of the old versions from modding sites (not from Lenovo) but they are modded to accommodate the changing of the wifi cards without the usual restrictions imposed by Lenovo.

tidididi
Paper Tape
Views: 685
Message 8 of 11

Thanks but... it is changed already. I did not do anything special.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 678
Message 9 of 11

@tidididi wrote:

Thanks but... it is changed already. I did not do anything special.

Yes it is too late and can't be reverse. However, you can still do the backup of the present bios in case you find and will install a modded old bios version.

tidididi
Paper Tape
Views: 677
Message 10 of 11

I meant that my problem is solved :-) Functional buttons came back without use of Fn key.

Thanks for your help and solutions, guys.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors