cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan123456
Punch Card
Views: 3,788
Message 1 of 14

Z500: Samsung 840 evo doesn't work (on windows)

Hi,

I replaced the build-in hdd in my Ideapad Z500 with a brand new Samsung 840 evo, and tried to install Windows 8.1 on it.

(I also replaced the dvd drive with a hdd caddy, where I put old hdd)

Unfortunately, I can't install windows.

Everytime I try to format the main partition, nothing happens for about 3 minutes, and then it throws Error code 0x80070057 "unable to create partition" (actual description is German)

When I boot from the old hdd, and try to format the ssd inside windows, it doesn't work either.

Magician tells me, that everything is fine with the ssd, but it can't perform any tests, as there is no volume

SATA controller mode is AHCI.

Boot mode is UEFI.

Here is what I already tried:

- During the installation: diskpart->list disk->select disk->clean->convert gpt->exit (exits without errors)

- manual partitioning with parted magic

Does anyone an idea, that doesn't require disassembling the whole notebook again? This is what I only want to try if everything else fails. I was very careful when replacing the drives, and didn't notice any physical damages, suspicious sounds etc.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,748
Message 2 of 14

Re: Z500: Samsung 840 evo doesn't work

is there a partition named system reserved?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Jan123456
Punch Card
Views: 3,742
Message 3 of 14

I created one in GParted. Windows also creates one automatically during installation but it's never in the first place, which got me suspicious. The thing is, I can create and format some small partitions, but it always fails when I try to format the rest of the hard drive. I also tried to leave the last 100mb unformatted, but that doesn't work either.

EDIT:

I just installed Ubuntu. It works perfectly fine...

Sadly, I need windows for work.

Any Ideas?

EDIT 2:

Things I've also tried by now:

- Installing Windows 8 instead of 8.1 (same error)

- Installing in Legacy mode (same error)

- Letting Windows create the Partitions during installation, and then formatting them under linux. (Best solition so far. Windows Installer says, that copying the files succeeded, though it went way to fast in my opinion. It then crashes at the second step. Error 0x8007045D: Windows can't install the necessary files.)

At this point, I am completely out of ideas. Again: It works perfectly fine under linux!

I think I know a company, that will discover a burning bag filled with feces on their doormat tomorrow, and it's neither lenovo nor samsung ...

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,711
Message 4 of 14

what is its capacity?

Jan123456
Punch Card
Views: 3,710
Message 5 of 14

250GB

During installation, I had the DVD drive inside the tray. Now I've insertet my old HDD, in order to have at least a slow system I can work on.

Interesting: The 300mb recovery volume, created by windows during the installation, is visible and usable.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,672
Message 6 of 14

have you tried to clone the hdds?

Jan123456
Punch Card
Views: 3,667
Message 7 of 14

I don't really want to clone the old hdd, as the ssd space is pretty limited, and the old hdd is full of garbage.

I'm going to try one of the following things next:
1. Cleaning my HDD, installing Windows on it (inside my laptop) and then cloning it onto the SSD.
2. Installing Windows on the SSD directly but using a desktop PC. EDIT: It is a 64bit PC w/ UEFI, and I've successfully installed Windows 8.1 onto a SSD on it before.

It would be cool if you could tell me, of what option you expect a higher chance of success, and why.
The effort to remove the SSD does not play a role anymore, as I am completely desperate by now xD

EDIT:

I tried option 2 without success.

After that, I connected the SSD to the SATA port in the DVD tray.

The installation worked perfectly. Sadly, this is a very slow SATA port, and I only had about 250mb/s r/w, which is not even half the promised speed.

When I tried to connect the SSD to the fast port again -> bluescreen on startup.

After that, the windows installation was corrupted.

Fazit: Think carefully, whether you really want to replace your HDD with an SSD on your Lenovo Z500!

Since 250mb/s is still much faster then the 80mb/s of the default HDD, I think I am going to return the SSD and buy a cheaper one, with specs closer to this upper bound.

Unless of course someone quickly comes up with another idea...

tynej
Paper Tape
Views: 3,600
Message 8 of 14

I am thinking about same operation. So I am dissapointed you didnt success.

I found only this advices:

Guides:

- OS Migration (using Paragon Backup & Recovery Home)

Disk Cloning (using Macrium Reflect)

or from topic https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/EVO-840-mSata-troubles/m-p/1556412

This advice:

When you did the new Win 8 install was the original HDD still in the machine?  My guess is that the install put the boot partition on the HDD and the OS on the SSD.

If that's the case, rerun the install with only the SSD in the machine.

----

please let me know your progression. 

Jan123456
Punch Card
Views: 3,595
Message 9 of 14

When you did the new Win 8 install was the original HDD still in the machine?  My guess is that the install put the boot partition on the HDD and the OS on the SSD.

I used a DVD to install windows on the SSD. So in conclusion, the HDD was not connected at this moment.

I know about the disc cloning option, but I am almost certain, that this won't work. As I said, I easily managed to install Windows 8.1 on the SSD (boot partition included!) by connecting it to the SATA 3Gb/s of the Z500. Connecting it to the SATA 6Gb/s again lead to a bluescreen on startup.

After all, I am am not going to try cloning, because it requires to much risk and effort, for too little chances of success.

But I'm still looking for a solution, and will inform you in case I make progress!

tynej
Paper Tape
Views: 3,592
Message 10 of 14

Next idea I have is the issue can be in sata mode controller achi, magicain sometimes recognized wrongly. Try to google"
Samsung magician not recognising SSD in AHCI mode.
or someting more accurate which described your problem

EDIT:

or maybe this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1764989/windows-bsod-installing-samsung-840-ssd.html

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors