Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fudgestix
Paper Tape
Views: 1,634
Message 1 of 3

Z500 Suddenly Can't Adjust Brightness Unless I Do it in BIOS

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.

Tonight, when I turned on my laptop the screen seemed much dimmer than usual (even at start up), and once it had loaded I couldn't change the brightness no matter what. I tried using the buttons on the keyboard, and manually in windows, but it remained dim. I also tried on different power settings, but still nothing.

I finally managed to turn it up by going into the BIOs and adjusting the brightness on that screen, but I still can't do anything once Windows 8 is loaded up.

It was fine last night before I shutdown, and there were no major updates and I installed nothing new. I tried doing a system restore, but the problem still remains.

Any ideas? I only got this 28 days ago, I really don't want to be having to send it away for repair already! 

Oh, it's a regular Z500 btw, not one of the Touch ones.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,593
Message 2 of 3

Re: Z500 Suddenly Can't Adjust Brightness Unless I Do it in BIOS

hi fudgestix,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums

Can you try to:

1. Boot into the BIOS load the default settings by pressing F9 then press F10 to save and exit.

2. In Windows, try to press F11/F12 to toggle the brightness. If same issue, uninstall Lenovo Energy Management under Control Panel > Programs and test.

3. If all works well, try to reinstall the software below and observe:

Lenovo Energy Management for 64-bit Windows
em8.08.0.2.4.exe
45.4MB

Let me know your findings

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Highlighted
fudgestix
Paper Tape
Views: 1,575
Message 3 of 3

Re: Z500 Suddenly Can't Adjust Brightness Unless I Do it in BIOS

Hi, thanks for the reply. I actually ended up restoring factory settings after trying a bunch of stuff that didn't work, and it seems to have fixed the problem for now.

Still don't understand what caused it :s

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors