Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gct
Paper Tape
Views: 337
Message 1 of 5

Z500 Touch freezing in Windows, Linux and Lenovo Diagnostics

Hello,

I have  a lenovo Z500 touch that I have seldom used in the 3 years since I bought it mostly playing music when on holiday. I have just started trying to use it with Cubase music production software with an external monitor via HDMI.

Several times a day the system freezes and can only be recovered by hard reset. There is no sign in the system event log of a problem until after a restart when the kernel reports that the system wasn't cleanly shut down. The system is much more stable using only the integrated display.

I discovered that there is a downloadable Lenovo Diagnostics CD which is built on a Linux base. The Z500 freezes every time in the Video Card stress test both with and without an HDMI connected display. It has now also frozen on one of the extended memory tests. It is exactly the same type of freeze as occurs with Windows.

So, this is not a Windows problem as it occurs in the diagnostics Linux system.

In Windows it only ever fails when a second display is connected so looks like it is related to the Intel HD 4000 graphics. Running HWMonitor there is no sign of high CPU temperatures. At the point of freezing, which I have just directly watched, the screen flickers. For a short while after the freeze the keyboard back light can be switched on and off and then about 30 seconds after it stops responding. caps lock and num lock don't respond immediately after the freeze. I stongly suspect that there is a serious hardware problem and that this system, which is well out of warranty, is basically useless.

Anyone any idea what can be done to further narrow down the culprit component?

Thanks,

Glen

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 305
Message 2 of 5

Re: Z500 Touch freezing in Windows, Linux and Lenovo Diagnostics

Start with memory diagnostics. But could also be the motherboard. Eliminate memory as the cause. If you have two modules you can also test one at a time if you have crashes with one only then you know.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

gct
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, Tripplec!

I had two banks of memory and had already tried the system with one bank in use (new 8GB card in bank two). This morning I tested with the new 8GB card in bank 1 and the original 4GB card removed from bank 2 (its original location). All memory diagnostics passed. Then 4 runs through the video card stress test passed and then failed a 5th. Last night there were no successful runs through the video card stress tests. Once Windows was running again it failed after 30 minutes of Youtube video with the HDMI display connected. I strongly suspect this system will be of no use for what I wanted to use it for and will have to settle for using with only its internal display. Since its a year out of warranty I doubt there will be any help from Lenovo or the reseller.

Thanks,

Glen

gct
Paper Tape
Views: 275
Message 4 of 5

An update - system is freezing in Linux Mint 17.3 booted from external USB SSD using only internal display after about 10 minutes use. Windows video display freezes after about 1 hour without external display. The video display freezing exhibits as Youtube and BBC iPlayer not displaying anything other than a static image from the point of freezing in Firefox, IE and Edge. When trying to play a .MOV file captured by camera it was displayed at about 1 frame every 5-10 seconds. Otherwise Windows and the internet were operating normally.

Intel 3rd Gneration Processor diagnostic tool passed all tests several times.

At the minute this laptop seems to be usefull only on internal display when non-video applications are used.

Has anyone else with a Z500 experienced anything like this? Or, any other system, for that matter? Could any Lenovo representative make a comment, please?

gct
Paper Tape
Views: 173
Message 5 of 5

Update and request:

I gave up with the laptop shortly after the last post and bought an new one , HP, which works perfectly. I put the Lenovo away until a couple of weeks ago when I thought I'd try and get the bottom of the problem. It irks somewhat to have an almost unused and unusable product that cost about £450.

The system freezes in Windows, Linux, Lenovo Diagnostice and even in BIOS setup (usually within 10 minutes). I have tried different hard drives both HDD and SSD, swapped memory around, removed the wifi card. I have even purchased a replacement processor from Ebay. I've tried running with the battery disconnected. There is no sign of a problem with components on the MB. In Windows it has frozen with CPUID HWMonitor running which shows no unusual CPU temperatures at the time of the freeze. Nothing changes the behaviour. 

Does anyone have any ideas about what else could cause a system to freeze after a random period of time never longer than a few hours if not software, memory, CPU, disc, battery?

Thanks,

Glen

Top Kudoed Authors