cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,592

Question

I was wondering if removing my CD/ DVD drive and replacing it with a HDD caddy will void the warranty on my z500 (non touch)? I want to boost performance with an SSD but I just upgraded my warranty. 

Answer

The replacement of your optical drive will not void your warranty.

The following is a guide to removing the optical drive on the Lenovo Z500, taken from the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

opticaldrive.jpg

opticaldrive2.jpg

Was this information helpful?

Comments
askBrandon

I have just bought a Z50 on recommendation, had an SSD and DJ software installed, and was very pleased, until i found the CD/DVD drive doesn't work. Important as i intended to digitise all my music! Checked drive on operating system, not found. Think it's due to incompatibility with Windows 10. The DVD drive has been replaced with a new slimline, but same problem. So now i have to choose Win 10 no CD drive  (useless for me!) or a working drive with reversion to Win 8, which presumably will cause me a problem at some point in the future using an older version.

Any ideas on this would be very greatly appreciated, as i've spent a lot of money on something that doesn't do what i need it for :-(

Best Wishes

Brandon