Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caduceusuk
Paper Tape
Views: 373
Message 1 of 3

Z500 hdd failed, when new drive inserted bios wont load

Out of the blue my z500 crashed and on restarting the hdd wasn't recognised. I opened everything up and made sure it was properly connected. Still nothing.

I purchased a ssd and inserted into the hard drive slot and when powered up it blinks the lenovo bios startup screen then instantly goes black. It then flashes black and back lit black continously

I removed the ssd and it loads to bios fine without a drive.

I returned the ssd and got a replacement. The same problem reoccured. 

The ssd is approved as suitable for the z500 by the crucial website and can be set up fine as an external hard drive.

The original hdd makes a noticeable rattling noise when powered so I assume it was a natural failure.

Any ideas? Any other information required? I'm a complete newbie to these forums and appreciate anyone's help.

Many thanks

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 333
Message 2 of 3

Re: Z500 hdd failed, when new drive inserted bios wont load

@caduceusuk wrote:

Out of the blue my z500 crashed and on restarting the hdd wasn't recognised. I opened everything up and made sure it was properly connected. Still nothing.

I purchased a ssd and inserted into the hard drive slot and when powered up it blinks the lenovo bios startup screen then instantly goes black. It then flashes black and back lit black continously

I removed the ssd and it loads to bios fine without a drive.

I returned the ssd and got a replacement. The same problem reoccured. 

The ssd is approved as suitable for the z500 by the crucial website and can be set up fine as an external hard drive.

The original hdd makes a noticeable rattling noise when powered so I assume it was a natural failure.

Any ideas? Any other information required? I'm a complete newbie to these forums and appreciate anyone's help.

Many thanks

Try installing the ssd (of course power should be off before doing it). After the physical installation and placing back the cover press the NOVO button. A menu should appear and select bios setup to enter the bios. If you can go to the bios put the bios configuration to default values. Then set the PXE boot to disable. Save and exit.

Note: You need to boot in a usb/dvd installer of windows since the ssd does not have anything on it yet. So may need to change some settings in bios inorder to do this.

caduceusuk
Paper Tape
Views: 315
Message 3 of 3

Re: Z500 hdd failed, when new drive inserted bios wont load

Kudos. You nailed it

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors