Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nikator1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,344
Message 1 of 7

Z51-70 - Major issues with dedicated gpu drivers

Hello friends, my situation is as follows:

I own a Lenovo z51-70, intel i5-5200U with AMD Radeon R9 M375, running windows 10 home, bought in september 2016. It was functioning properly for a while, me being able to do some lightweight gaming on it, until about a month ago, when the hard drive failed completely. Since it was well into the 2 year warranty, i sent it back, and after a good amount of time i finally got it back 5 days ago, with the report saying they replaced the hard drive and the motherboard.
My first impression was good, I opened the laptop and left it on for the night to give windows all the time they needed to finish updates etc.
The problems began when i attempted to play any games on it. As soon as i launch a game(tried with WoW and LoL so far), its either that the entire laptop freezes/crashes immediately, or there are typical signs of video issues like vertical lines, artifacts etc, and then the inevitable crash. This happens about 20-60 seconds after launching the game, sometimes resulting in a BSOD, sometimes everything freezes and i have to perform a hard reboot, and sometimes it restarts by itself immediately without any reports whatsoever. After tinkering about it for a while, i got to an interesting find:
-No issues at all as soon as i disable the Radeon R9 M375 from device manager, and let the machine run on its Intel HD Graphics 5500, although the FPS is expectedly attrocious.

This narrows it down a good bit, so i figured I'd just update the drivers on the AMD gpu. However, when attempting to update by rightclicking on it in device manager -> update drivers, it installs some 15.xxx.xx version from 2015. That's fine i thought, and just went to AMD's site and got the latest driver, some 22.xxx.xx from 10 days ago. After performing a clean install, both manually and by using software(DDU) i found suggested on this site to delete any trace of the previous driver, the problem was unfortunatly not resolved. On top of that, windows kept installing the 15.xxx.xx driver over the one i had downloaded, so i had to download the hide updates troubleshoot from microsoft and blacklist said update.
To make absolutely certain it's not an issue with the games, i downloaded the FurMark GPU burner test, and as soon as i ran it and there was slight strain on the GPU, the same symptoms occured, about 5 seconds into the test. Lines, artifacting, and eventually BSOD.
To make sure it isn't a hardware issue i downloaded WhoCrashed, and the reports on all crashes conclude "This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem."

This brings me to a dead end. What am i missing? Why do windows believe the driver from 2015 is the latest one? The instalation of the latest driver always finishes without any issues so im assuming windows' stubborness on the old driver is not important to solving the problem?

I'm at a complete loss, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Nikator1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,242
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z51-70 - Major issues with dedicated gpu drivers

Update: It doesn't seem like there's an obvious solution I could be missing, so i decided to provide some information on additional issues i noticed which may or may not be related, just in case anyone has an idea.

1) I decided that, since im not going to be using the gpu anytime soon, i might as well revert to the drivers Windows prefers. I performed a clean uninstall of the latest driver using DDU, removed the file from updates' blacklist, and let windows do its thing. Now there is the following wierd issue: When using said driver from 2015 and having the gpu enabled, windows update does not work. It gets stuck in "looking for updates" forever, or at least for 4 hrs which was the amount of time i let it run before i stopped it. Same goes for the update-hiding troubleshooter.
This is probably related to the driver and I dont really care about it that much, but i had to mention it because this is how i got to the next part, which could be important:

2) When getting windows update to work by disabling the gpu, and asking it to look for updates from settings->update&security->check for updates , it says the device is up to date. However, when running the update-hiding troubleshooter, it asks me to choose the problematic updates from a list of pending updates, as shown in the picture below:

http://imgur.com/E4iFHIK.png

This doesn't make any sense, if my device is up to date how come the troubleshooter says there are updates available? And judging by their names, they don't seem like optional/secondary updates at all either, at least the system related ones.

3) This part could be the most important: In Device Manager, under system devices there is one which is not functioning properly, as shown in the image below:

I don't know what that device is, why it is not working properly, and if this has anything to do with the gpu issue. It might be so, as after some quick googling i found it is indeed related to hardware, drivers and bios, but at this point i am exhausted trying to solve this unholy mess. I have spent the past 5 days trying to make this work, I am not a technician, i am going to call lenovo tomorrow and ask them to have the machine back, check the gpu for hardware faults, re-install windows, maybe call an exorcist, but under no conditions ship it back until it has a functioning gpu. 

simplegamer003
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,187
Message 3 of 7

I have same issue. I think it's caused because of recent update in Windows 10 anniversary version, I guess. Have you updated to anniversary version too?

Nikator1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,182
Message 4 of 7

I am using Windows 10 version 1703, googling it shows it is the Creator's update. I was unable to contact lenovo because it was the weekend (duh), so in the meantime i also tried updating the BIOS and chipset drivers. There were updates for both, i installed them without issues but unfortunately nothing changed.
 I am leaning more and more towards believing the issue is the device i talked about earlier, Intel management engine interface, because im simply running out of options as to what else it could possibly be, this is the only thing appearing to not be working properly in the entire machine. I tried downloading the drivers for that, but after locating the correct drivers for my machine, upon attempting to install them i get the error message platform_not_supported, and now the device stopped appearing altogether in the device manager.
 What is your situation in regards to that device? Can you locate it in device manager? Is it working properly?

LucasHD
Paper Tape
Views: 991
Message 5 of 7

Were you able to find a solution? I also seem to have similar issues. I will play a game for around 5-10 minutes then the computer will just crash. I have also tried FurMark and I get the same results as you. It is definately not overheating as I have used both new thermal paste and cooling pad, they seem to not help. The Intel 5500 seems to work fine also, with terrible fps.

Nikator1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 973
Message 6 of 7

I had Lenovo pick up the laptop and send it to the repair center. It came back about 12 days later with the report saying they replaced the motherboard and it was working perfectly. It is probably a hardware issue, since I had tried everything related to software. 

LucasHD
Paper Tape
Views: 968
Message 7 of 7

Alright, thanks for getting back to me! Guess I will have to give Lenovo a call then...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors