Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
01baftb
Paper Tape
Views: 592
Message 1 of 6

Z510 Alps touchpad driver buggy and keep getting corrupted

)

I have a Lenovo Z510 laptop with came with Alps touchpad. Ever since Windows 8 and now Windows 10 I have been having issues with the drivers. In the last 2-3 years, Lenovo has never addressed this issue, nor have they pushed any updates to the drivers. Lenovo finally published drivers after Windows 10 release and it still has issues.

I have tried two versions of the drivers and both of them have this issue:

• ALPS_v8.201.1611.242 (Published by Lenovo)
  • ALPS_v8.201.1611.249 (Publish by Microsoft through Windows 10 update)

I am on Windows 10 x64bit edition.

Since Windows 8, I have the updated BIOS installed (http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z510-...

I have installed the latest drivers from Lenovo's website

The bug:
When using an external mouse (USB/Bluetooth), I always disable the touchpad using the Fn+F6 key. However, after a shutdown/restart the touchpad doesn't get re-enabled. Thus, in a situation where I shutdown my PC with the touchpad disabled, followed by starting the PC again but without an external mouse, the touchpad is non-functional and I can't move the  cursor after logging into Windows. Even after pressing the Fn+F6 key mulptiple times, the touchpad doesn't get enabled. I have to connect the external mouse again to actually use the PC. In Windows 8, restarting the PC by holding down the power button would re-enable the touchpad in a situation where I don't have access to an external mouse. However, in Windows 10, the the drivers completely break down and there is no way to fix the touchpad until after multiple iteration of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Steps to replicate issue
In Windows 10, this issue is very serious, because the drivers stop working completely. It requires me to uninstall/reinstall the drivers. I know the exact steps to replicate the issue and break the drivers:
0) Make sure PC is connected to charger
1) Have external mouse connected and touchpad enable
2) Disable touchpad using Fn+F6
3) Shutdown the PC while using your external mouse
4) Disconnect the external mouse
5) Disconnect the charger
6) Reconnect the charger
7) Start PC again
8) At login screen touchpad won't work, you must press Enter to login with your password
9) At desktop screen touchpad won't work even despite pressing the Fn+F6 key multiple times
10) Your drivers are broken or corrupted. Connect external mouse
11) Go to Control Panel >> Mouse and it wont work.

12) Restart computer and you will get error message that says: Apoint.exe Alps_SetMouseMonitor Error!!
12a) If you're lucky you will be able to uninstall and reinstall drivers on the first go
12b) If you're unlucky (which was my case), you will have to try to troubleshoot uninstall/reinstall multiple times because Alps device won't show in the Device manager 

Update

• I just noticed that when on the lock screen of Windows, you can't enable or disable the touchpad using the Fn+F6 key. You must be logged into WIndows to enable or disable. For example: Imaging you lock your PC by pressing Win+L while having your external mouse connected. Now you remove the external mouse and want to use your touchpad. You can't press Fn+F6 to enable the touchpad. You need to press Enter to log into Windows using your keyboard, then press Fn+F6 to enable the touchpad.
Ray-007
802.11n
Views: 557
Message 2 of 6

Re: Alps touchpad driver buggy and keep getting corrupted

Dear Sir

Hope my message finds you well.

i see you made big effort & many steps, but BIOS update may caused that last serious problem. so i believe you should deliver your device to the nearest service Center to Check your machine.

Best Of Luck  Man Wink

01baftb
Paper Tape
Views: 550
Message 3 of 6

Sorry, but your answer is incorrect.

The last published BIOS was release in 2014, and I had updated the BIOS in 2014 to version 8DCN40WW (V40)
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z510-...

If anything updating the BIOS should fix the problem, not create it, specially because Lenovo hasn't published any new update to the BIOS recently.
01baftb
Paper Tape
Views: 528
Message 4 of 6

Update

• I just noticed that when on the lock screen of Windows, you can't enable or disable the touchpad using the Fn+F6 key. You must be logged into WIndows to enable or disable. For example: Imaging you lock your PC by pressing Win+L while having your external mouse connected. Now you remove the external mouse and want to use your touchpad. You can't press Fn+F6 to enable the touchpad. You need to press Enter to log into Windows using your keyboard, then press Fn+F6 to enable the touchpad.
01baftb
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 5 of 6

Re: Z510 Alps touchpad driver buggy and keep getting corrupted

Lenovo support, please respond.

01baftb
Paper Tape
Views: 399
Message 6 of 6

Re: Z510 Alps touchpad driver buggy and keep getting corrupted

It has been 4 months and still no reply from Lenovo support.

In my views Lenovo officially has the worst customer service. This includes my experience with the phone tech support over the past 2 years with two of my Lenovo laptops. 

Whoever is reading this, I suggest you never buy Lenovo again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors