Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,577
Message 1 of 7

Z510 - False battery percentage

I have purchased Lenovo Ideapd Z510 about 1.5 years ago. Installed Windows 10 via Windows update 3 months ago. My laptop was working fine until now. 1 week ago I was editing some document and suddenly laptop got switched off without any notification. It did not shut down rather it turned off unexpectedly. Battery percentage shown before tuning off was 70%. I tried to power it ON as well as used Recovery Key, but nothing helped. I plugged in the charger and noticed charge indicator was RED, which means battery is low. I turned on the laptop again and now battery percentage shown was 0. SoI decided to perform Gauge Reset using Lenovo Energy Manager which in turn will calibrate the battery.

After two days I though it is fine now. But I kep on my laptop for 2 hours and battery life shown was still 94%. I understood that wrong info is being displayed. I generated enery report from command prompt by powercfg -energy. Once I opened the report I was surprised to see tha Last Full Charge value is greater than Design Capacity, which is absolutely weird. Now it takes two or three hours to charge completely from 99% to 100%. And even after lsitening to music, surfing web and editing multiple documents at once battery percent shown never goes below 94% and thatbtoo it takes more about 2 hours to go from 100% to 96 or 94%.

Please help me. I want to know it related to hardware and particularly the battery or with the OS? Note that I have not installed any new application or program in past 5 months. Thanks in advance.

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

maheshmurthi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,530
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z510 - False battery percentage

Oh !! "Every" user on the forum owing a Z510 laptop has this problem and Lenovo is not responding to it at all. People have found solutions that work for them but not for others. Not sure where to go now ..
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,526
Message 3 of 7

Great mistake by selecting Lenovo as a brand. From the very first day I am facing problem. Purchased from retail store. When I registered the serial number warranty status shown was only 8 months. On calling customer care they said that its warranty already started. Absolutely weird. Warranty started before purchase. When I said that it may be second hand product then. Lenovo took retailer's side and told me that my laptop is new. After few months heating problem started. Cooling vent was changed. Now this weird battery problem. And now I have to pay again if battery needs to be replaced. In this regard HP is much better than Lenovo.
Former Employee
Views: 1,458
Message 4 of 7

In response to customer reports of unexpected issues with battery performance on Z500 and Z510 laptops, Lenovo is making a battery firmware update available via download from the Lenovo Forums.

This battery firmware is intended to resolve the following unexpected charging symptoms when a Z500 or Z510 laptop is powered on:

• Battery is dead
  • Battery is not detected
  • Battery is detected and charged to 100% but when AC power is removed, the laptop immediately powers off
  • When the battery is fully charged and AC power is removed, battery level falls dramatically within 10 minutes

Please note a step-by-step procedure for upgrading the firmware is included in the .zip file, found in the "ReadMe" folder.

The battery firmware update can be downloaded here: https://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/sm/z500_z510_battery_firmware_update.zip

Thank you,

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,416
Message 5 of 7

Thanks a lot. This really solved the problem. Actually the problem started after my system upgraded to Windows 10. After applying this firmware update everything is back to normal. Anyway thanks again.
lenvuser
Paper Tape
Views: 460
Message 6 of 7

Can you post a solution for 310-15IKB MODEL?

lenvuser
Paper Tape
Views: 457
Message 7 of 7

Totally agree. I have also the fan issue which is loud.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors