Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PetarKr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,838
Message 1 of 11

Z510 - Fan too loud after SSD upgrade

Hello,

I recently bought SSD (Samsung 850 evo 250GB) to upgrade it in the Z510. After migrating the data, all the OS and apps work faster but I also have that fan issue - as little the CPU is utilized, the fan goes really louder than before.

Tried cleaning the registry, SpeedFan... none works. 

I also tried updating drivers and even re-installing Windows 10 - the issue is still there.

Cannot find any solution in the net, please advice how to return the fan back to normal workflow, not lead by the CPU utilization.

Thanks!

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,830
Message 2 of 11

Re: Z510 - Fan too loud after SSD upgrade

Can't really say but is the SSD the same physical size? There maybe a sensor for the HD area and SSD's do generate heat.

Is it all the time or on specific usage.

There are hardware monitoring software for systems. Guessing, but HWMONITOR comes to mind and I am sure there are others. See if the system is actually in need of serious cooling.
Air needs to flow through the ducts of the chassis.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

PetarKr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,820
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

It is the same size (2.5") and it perfectly fits at the original HDD metal case. I checked for a heat sensor but could not find one.

If performance monitor is opened, it can be seen that as higher the CPU utilization goes, the RPMs go higher, too, in the same ratio.

So my guess here is that somehow the motherboard controlls the RPMs not by the heat but by the % of CPU used. 

HWMONITOR shows that CPU temps vary between 39 and 56 degreed C and you can really hear the fan speeding up loudly when Youtube video is started (~20% CPU utilization) - something that never happend with the original HDD.

No BIOS serrings were touched, though.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,814
Message 4 of 11

I am guessing the air flow through the out port is blowing hot. That not that high a temperature but why I can't say. Maybe someone with that machine will add to your thread. Good luck, Oh you're not blocking any under the system vents? You should never run on a bed etc since air cannot get in them.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,812
Message 5 of 11

Oh it maybe that being a new install its optimizing via TRIM of something. Let it run overnight and see if it continues after. Long short but who knows.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,799
Message 6 of 11

Hi PetarKr,

I repaired a laptop recently where the CPU cooling fan was running constantly too, and after cleaning out dust etc. did not resolve the issue, I removed CPU heathsink/fan Assembly, re-applied a good quality heatsink compound, and after reassembly the problem was resolved.    

It was a different model, but the problem sounds very similar.

Take Care,

Lenovo Z410/Z510/ Z510 Touch Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_z410z510z510touch_hmm.pdf

PetarKr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,783
Message 7 of 11

Thank you all for the replies!

I have been using the laptop only on my desk, preventing any air-flow block. 

Further, while I changed the SSD I removed the fan and cleaned it with compressed air.

I will dissasemble it again and remove the heat sink to clean the thermal compound and apply a new one and also leave it for longer run to see if the issue will dissapear.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,768
Message 8 of 11

Comment: Everytime there is an increase in speed be it through the introduction of an SSD, temperature rise is always expected.

Suggestion: So, there might be a need to do some tweaks inorder not to exceed the limits. Some of the tweaks are already being suggested by the contributors/responders. If the limits are not exceeded or reached just leave it alone and let the system temperature control do its part.

PetarKr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,748
Message 9 of 11

So what I did - changed the termal compound, removed the fan and heatsink to check if anything was blocking it, double-checked if there was a heat-sensor for the HDD that I have missed. All was in its place and installed correctly.

I also left the laptop running for more than 12 hours without sleeping or switching off, then turned it off for another 12 hours.

After all of the above - there is a slight change in RPMs, however, still higher compared to the ones before the SSD upgrade.

I think the high RPMs are not comming from a hardware issue, most probably is software one.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,738
Message 10 of 11

Since you mentioned that you already have updated the drivers, you should already have the latest Power Management Software installed, and it is that software that controls the embedded controller that controls fan speed.    

The embedded controller itself is updated via BIOS updates, but the last one released for your model I believe was 8DCN40WW (V40) released in 2014, but it states that it is only compatible with Window 7/8, so I do not know if it will install under Windows 10 or not, but I think it would since the BIOS is typically not OS specific.  

If you are already using the latest Power Management software but are not already BIOS version 8DCN40WW (V40), upgrading might be worth a try to see if that resolves the issue, although I personally fear BIOS updates, for they sometimes go south, leaving the system bricked; requiring the BIOS to be re-flashed or the system board replaced.

If you are already current, then you might be stuck until Lenovo releases either a new BIOS or Power Management Software update. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors