cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luckbot
Paper Tape
Views: 530
Message 1 of 5

Z510 Speaker sound does not work anymore because something is stuck inside the headphone jack

Hello,

Something is stuck inside my headphone jack (really no idea what, it looks like some amber colored resin)

This caused no problems until i tried to stick my headphones in (because i didn't know there was something else inside)

Now the little switch inside is activated and i can't use my normal speakers anymore.

Pulling the thing out is not possible it really seems glued inside, i can remove small parts of it by scratching with a screwdriver but i see no way to remove it without a drill.

I googled for ways to shut off the port so i can revert back to the normal speakers (i really don't care about losing the headphone jack, i normally only use speaker sound)

It seems the installed realtek drivers allow no option to deactivate it.

I tried reinstalling the realtek driver, changed registry option "EnableDynamicDevices" but didnt find the more promising "ForceDisableJD".  The Windows driver also didn't help and i didn't find any other drivers available for this notebook.

The BIOS also didn't have any option for this (but maybe i'm just bad at finding it)

Is there any way to disable the port on the software side or a way to disconnect the hardware? I have soldering equipment here.

I really don't care for a clean solution anymore, just hoping for a way to get the sound.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: whoops almost forgot the essentials: this is a lenovo z510 with win7 64bit that was not pre-installed (bought without OS)

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 505
Message 2 of 5

Re: Z510 Speaker sound does not work anymore because something is stuck inside the headphone jack

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

I am not an owner of your model, but many headphone jacks have a mechanical connection that disables the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.  In your case it sounds like the foreign substance has caused this switch to permanently disable the speakers.  Since this is a mechanical switch there are no software or BIOS options to disable it as you have found out. 

As for resolving the problem, the audio jack is separate from the motherboard.  It is installed on a audio / USB board which is then connected to the motherboard by a ribbon cable.  Cleaning the audio jack itself would be difficult since it is an enclosed assembly.  You could possibly remove the board and once separate from the laptop use some spray contact cleaner to try and flush the substance from the inner jack assembly.  That may or may not work depending if the contact cleaner dissolves it. Once cleaned then use some canned air to blow out the excess cleaner.  Both canned air and contact cleaner are available at electronic stores, at least here in the U.S.. 

If you have the de-soldering skill you could try removing the audio jack entirely from the board. 

Another option is to just replace the audio board.  For older laptops replacement parts are usually available on eBay or Amazon.  Here is the U.S. there is one on eBay for $20 (US). 

The last option would be to just disconnect the ribbon cable from the audio board to the motherboard.  Since it is an add-on board the computer should still function correctly without it. The downside is that by disconnecting the audio board you will also lose access to the card reader and the adjacent USB port. 

Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will explain the disassembly of the laptop and accessing the audio board is not that hard of a project if you are comfortable working inside your system.  The audio board is shown as #11 in the diagram for your model.

Here is a link to that manual for your reference.....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_z410z510z510touch_hmm.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

luckbot
Paper Tape
Views: 494
Message 3 of 5

Re: Z510 Speaker sound does not work anymore because something is stuck inside the headphone jack

Thanks for your quick reply.

I will try that.

Since i use a usb mouse the loss of 1/3 of my ports would be quite a blow.

Let's see if i can solve this without removing the whole card.

luckbot
Paper Tape
Views: 481
Message 4 of 5

i unplugged the card, sadly that was only possible on the underside of the mainboard and not on the card side of the connecting wire.

It works great now, thanks for your help!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 419
Message 5 of 5

You are very welcome.  I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved to your satisfaction.

It is better to have the ribbon cable disconnected directly at the motherboard.  Had the ribbon cable been disconnect at the card it would have had "live" contacts on the cable end.  Unless you covered the contacts good with electrical tape you always run the risk of the cable shorting out and damaging the motherboard. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors