Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waltermh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,215
Message 1 of 12

Z510 Wireless card not detected

I have looked all over and not seen this exact problem.

I installed Win 8.1 x32 version and when i installed the wireless drivers that came with my support disk, it showed a working wireless system.

Then I realised that all the drivers are supposed to be 64bit and I should be installing 64 bit windows 8.1

So I installed a fresh win 8.1

I installed every driver except for the graphics drivers so far. The wireless card isnt even seen anymore.

The driver install doesnt give me an error though, but nothing is recognised. I have downloaded the correct 64 bit wireless drivers from lenovo z510 support section and tried installing those after uninstall of the others, but no luck there either.

I checked in BIOS and the wireless is turned on. This model doesnt seem to have a physical on/off switch for wireless.

Your energy management system for 8.1 doesnt seem to have an advanced options setting for turning wireless on or off either but I did check windows default manager and it says wireless is on full performance.

I am intermediate technical but I cant figure this one out.

My model number is 20287 if that helps.

Any information needed, let me know.

I did IPConfig /all and it comes back only showing the ethernet, no wireless.

Something disabled the wireless card, i dont see how it died in a day.
I checked in device manager and it doesnt see it either.

I am in Thailand but I cant get to a lenovo shop for 3 days and I hope I can fix it in the next day. The sooner the better.

If I have to reinstall windows, i can do that, though thats a bothersome solution. Maybe I will try it anyway while I wait for an answer.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,199
Message 2 of 12

Re: Z510 Wireless card not detected

@waltermh wrote:

I have looked all over and not seen this exact problem.

I installed Win 8.1 x32 version and when i installed the wireless drivers that came with my support disk, it showed a working wireless system.

Then I realised that all the drivers are supposed to be 64bit and I should be installing 64 bit windows 8.1

So I installed a fresh win 8.1

I installed every driver except for the graphics drivers so far. The wireless card isnt even seen anymore.

The driver install doesnt give me an error though, but nothing is recognised. I have downloaded the correct 64 bit wireless drivers from lenovo z510 support section and tried installing those after uninstall of the others, but no luck there either.

I checked in BIOS and the wireless is turned on. This model doesnt seem to have a physical on/off switch for wireless.

Your energy management system for 8.1 doesnt seem to have an advanced options setting for turning wireless on or off either but I did check windows default manager and it says wireless is on full performance.

I am intermediate technical but I cant figure this one out.

My model number is 20287 if that helps.

Any information needed, let me know.

I did IPConfig /all and it comes back only showing the ethernet, no wireless.

Something disabled the wireless card, i dont see how it died in a day.
I checked in device manager and it doesnt see it either.

I am in Thailand but I cant get to a lenovo shop for 3 days and I hope I can fix it in the next day. The sooner the better.

If I have to reinstall windows, i can do that, though thats a bothersome solution. Maybe I will try it anyway while I wait for an answer.

Did you check under airplane mode if the wifi is "on" or not? Its in Change PC settings/Network.

waltermh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,187
Message 3 of 12

It only shows a section for wireless under pc changes

but I did also do a search for aiport mode and it does show up with an option to turn airport mode on and off, but when i click it just sends me to that wireless menu

In this menu it only says no wireless devices available

This is on a fresh install. Formatted and everything.

I just installed all drivers again. Rebooted and no wireless device is seen.

It definitely all worked under 32bit windows and I am definitely using the 64 bit drivers for this 64 bit windows

My next step is to run linux ram disk to test the wireless device and see if linux finds it. Then I will know for sure if its windows related or not.

---------------------------

ok, so i ran linux and it doesnt seem to be able to find the wireless card either, so somehow the wireless card died between installations and within a day of purchase Smiley Indifferent

I guess I will need to go to a lenovo center in bangkok T_T

Unless somebody has another idea how to test for sure if the wireless card is working at all. After all, my linux version is at least 2 years old. Maybe 3. But then how much have wireless cards changes in that time Smiley Indifferent

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,177
Message 4 of 12

When you install the 32-bit or reinstall the 64-bit did you erase the partition prior to the installation?

waltermh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,171
Message 5 of 12

the first time i didnt but this time I did

I did a completely fresh install as my last message said.

If linux cant even read it, i would love some other option besides having to find a lenovo service center. I am so afraid that its a dead wifi card so quick after purchase. I dont have weeks to wait for a replacement Smiley Sad

I have detailed here so far all the software solutions I tried.

Any other ideas?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,164
Message 6 of 12

After the clean install what was the first driver you install?

waltermh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,152
Message 7 of 12

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-B560-Wireless-Card-NOT-DETECTED/m-p/...

This guy had same problem as me, but i dont know that installing and uninstalling linux really was part of his fix.

I see a lot of people having problems with the lenovo wireless cards. I worry that I bough a bad brand but it got good enough reviews online Smiley Indifferent

Anyway, I installed drivers randomly Smiley Indifferent

But I also tried installing the intel VGA drivers today and it said that my computer doesnt meet th minimum requirements.

Thats impossible, its lenovo z510 drivers and my system says its an i7 cpu Smiley Indifferent

Seems nothing is going right for me with this install.
I actually got this problem before. I am tempted to reinstall windows, try one more time, but in what order should I install drivers for best results?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,134
Message 8 of 12

When installing drivers, you should always start with the hardware part. That is start installing the chipset driver first. Then the sound drivers, video drivers and then the ethernet/wifi part. Its up to  you whether you will start all over again and follow the proper way of installing the drivers.

If possible avoid the linux solution unless you are familiar with it. This is to avoid getting the problem out of hand.

waltermh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,127
Message 9 of 12

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/major-hardware-problemson-z510-defective-la...

New post because I have more than just wireless card problem.

I did do fresh system again, and I am proficient with computers and linux, though not enough to see how its a solution to my problem. I did check the wireless in linux and like that guy I linked, the wireless wouldnt work in linux either.

Whatever the case, hopefully I can resolve this here or easier at a repair center in a few days.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,118
Message 10 of 12

@waltermh wrote:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/major-hardware-problemson-z510-defective-la...

New post because I have more than just wireless card problem.

I did do fresh system again, and I am proficient with computers and linux, though not enough to see how its a solution to my problem. I did check the wireless in linux and like that guy I linked, the wireless wouldnt work in linux either.

Whatever the case, hopefully I can resolve this here or easier at a repair center in a few days.

Imho it would be easier to have it repaired by a repair center since you have multiple problems. With the new post it might be a very long post and gets mixed responses.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors