Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmnopotts
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,458
Message 1 of 52

Z510 random shut downs (hard) when plugged in

My Z510 has been randomly shutting down when plugged in, but doesn't have this issue when running on battery. I contacted Lenovo and they sent my a new power supply but the issue continues. I called again and they instructed me to repair-install the Lenovo power manager and do a disk check. The issue still continues.

Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it? It used to happen when running something intensive like photoshop or a game and only if charging over 75%, but now it'll happen randomly. I can be sitting staring at the laptop with no programs running and it'll shut down.

Z510

i7

HD 4600

8 gb mem

1 tb hard drive

Win 8.1

MakarovZachaev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,199
Message 2 of 52

Re: Z510 random shut downs (hard) when plugged in

When you say it hard shuts down, do you mean it does not go through the 'shutdown' screen and instantly 'fails'?

lmnopotts
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,196
Message 3 of 52

No shutdown procedure, it instantly goes to black screen, everything off.

lmnopotts
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,135
Message 4 of 52

Called a 3rd time trying really hard not to be pissed off as at that point it would shut off and if I tried to boot up while plugged in would only be on for 10 seconds then immediately shut off.

Call lasted about 25 minutes, they took control of the laptop and set the wireless adapter to not turn off the machine to save power, installed the Lenovo power manager for 8.0 and not 8.1, and set windows to manual updates.

Crossing Fingers

...issue continues. I uninstalled the Lenovo power manager altogether, the only added bonus I saw it added was the high output fan use to blow out dust. I've kept the .exe for power manager in case I want to blow out dust in the future, but I'm going to test this week to see if I have any issues.

sidenote, with the 8.0 power manager I noticed the desktop image slideshow continued when on battery mode even though Windows has it set not to, also would notice screen brightness flutters when switching between dark/light screens on battery that I hadn't experienced before.

divyadhuria
What's DOS?
Views: 18,053
Message 5 of 52

I am having the same problem. Did your uninstalling Lenovo power manager worked for you?

Highlighted
lmnopotts
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,045
Message 6 of 52

No. Lenovo tried having me install 8.0 power manager which did nothing. Then I completely took off their power manager software and continued to have issues. It got so bad to where it wouldn't stay on long enough to get to the login screen.

Currently, I've just sent my laptop back to Lenovo. Finally found someone in customer service who agrees it's not a software issue. I've had to back up everything and I'm hoping it's not wiped clean. But I mainly want it to work.

idroid
Paper Tape
Views: 17,991
Message 7 of 52

Even I have similar issues with the same laptop model. When I called Lenovo customer care they told me it must be a problem related to the power adapter. I had to agree as my laptop worked fine when on battery (not charging) and gets switched off 10-15 mins after connecting the charger.

I would like to know what did you do the fix this issue? Moreover I am worried whether it is an issue with the laptop cooling system or the power adapter?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

divyadhuria
What's DOS?
Views: 17,968
Message 8 of 52

I had submitted my laptop to the Lenovo service center last week and just got it back yesterday. The issue seems to be fixed until now. They said they replaced the motherboard and DC socket though my CD drive stopped working which they would be replaced as well in next 4-5 days

idroid
Paper Tape
Views: 17,961
Message 9 of 52

Thanks for your reply. The Lenovo customer care told me they will dispatch new power adapter to fix this issue. Did also replace your power adapter and checked whether the issue was resolved before replacing the motherboard?
divyadhuria
What's DOS?
Views: 17,955
Message 10 of 52

I tried with another adapter but the problem was still there. They only
changed the motherboard

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors