Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 41 of 52 (1,993 Views)

Re: Z510 random shut downs (hard) when plugged in

do that only if it is free, otherwise I wouldn't spend a cent on this laptop.
Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 42 of 52 (1,625 Views)

I had the same problem and was able to solve it. So maybe this solution will help someone, although there are probably several different reasons for this problem. So don't expect this to be the solution for everyone.

What I had:

-spontaneous shutdowns, especially while gaming

-Warning-Window from Lenovo Energy Manager, which stated, that my "power adapter has limited support"

Note: I'm not sure if these two things always come together.

Replacing the power adapter obviously didn't solve the isssue.

So i decided to open the Z510 (there are videos on youtube), and found the critical part:

The powerjack cable (named "DC30100KT00") is connecting the power jack to the mainboard (in the left upper corner of the device). In my case, this connection to the mainboard had black burn marks on it.

The cables and connectors are designed to be barely able to conduct the current of 4,5 A in situations with high load (graphics card, etc.). So i soldered the cables from the power jack directly to the mainboard. (Alternatively you could probably just replace the "DC30100KT00") After this, the error message hasn't appeared again, and the laptop is running fine, even under heavy load for many hours.

Note: You may loose your warranty. I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your laptop or anything else when trying this method.

If anyone tries this: Please give feedback if it works for you.

SCSI Port
Message 43 of 52 (1,577 Views)

Hello man, laptop is work now normal and problem is 100% solved? you replaced the power jack?
Fanfold Paper
Message 44 of 52 (1,551 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, the laptop works absolutely perfect. As far as i'm concerned, the problem is (in my specific case) solved.

Z510.jpgI didn't replace the power jack, but instead soldered the connector on the Mainboard directly to the cables from the power jack. I attached an image to make it clearer. I assume, that it may be sufficient to replace this connector, but i haven't tried.

SCSI Port
Message 45 of 52 (1,526 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, thank for photo. So the problem is in the connector that connects to the motherboard? I'll try to do the same, if it works, i am replace power jack cable to the normal.
PuHsrOyDSi66SZ7bqOmMmg

Fanfold Paper
Message 46 of 52 (1,495 Views)

Yes, that is correct.

Punch Card
Message 47 of 52 (1,451 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I tried almost the same, I disconnected and reconnected the cable. Now laptop stays up when it is plugged to wall for much longer (4 hours) than before (which was zero sec.). 

I will wait for your confirmation before I order the cable.

thank you,

EPanosian

SCSI Port
Message 48 of 52 (1,340 Views)

I checked my power jack and 2 black cable nearly on connector melted a little and inside on connector black spots. 
I wonder if the change current power jack with a new one this will not happen again? On the photo of new power jack the wires look thicker.

Fanfold Paper
Message 49 of 52 (1,330 Views)

My connector looked exactly the same as you describe it. The two black cables seem to be the weak spot. I do not believe, that the new power jack has thicker cables as i do not see a reason for Lenovo to change this.

I think the issue is, that the connector internally is just crimped (mechanically) to the cables. This leads to an unstable connection when high currents flow.

-> I think a new connector MAY solve the issue. But i wouldn't be too optimistic, that this solves it forever.

This is the reason I decided to solder the cables, as this gives a much better electric contact.

SCSI Port
Message 50 of 52 (1,328 Views)

I took out two black cable from connector,cable is soldering not only mechanically crimped. I'm try to fully replace thats two cable on 2 copper more thicker cable and check notebook work. 

DC-Jack.jpg_640x640

In the photo, it seems to be a bit different from the original connector, I hope it's better.

I love lenovo and this notebook for excellent quality and service......

Top kudoed Authors