Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masood73
Paper Tape
Views: 2,555
Message 1 of 10

Z510 won't turn on after plugging suspicious USB device

Hey there & thanks for reading this...

Today I was repairing a mouse (as I always do) which had the problem of some short circuits... I was testing it using my Lenovo Z510 usb port. It was on sleep mode. I put the port in and suddenly I saw my laptop's off. I tried to turn it on but no clue! Not even one LED is turning on on the device... I tried the power supply but the same story! not even battery power LED turned on... I tried the 4-5 mins power hold trick but nothing happened...

Any clues how to solve this problem?

*BTW, I surfed the net for this issue, people with other laptops took out the battery, hold the power button for a minute, get the battery back & BOOM! The laptop turned on! but the thing is that we can't actually remove battery from this device... So, if this is the only way to solve the problem, Is there a way to use up the whole power saved on battery until we could reset the Cmos???***

Thanks...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,543
Message 2 of 10

Re: Z510 won't turn on after plugging suspicious USB device

Hello and welcome,

Did you check the USB socket for damage - bent contacts?  Could be a shorted +5V pin.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

masood73
Paper Tape
Views: 2,524
Message 3 of 10

Hey there and thanks for answering...

The mouse was plugged in to the usb port the whole time and I was messing up with the wires on the other side of the wire... So, physically there was no Change visible on the port, such as bending or things like that... I think it might be a hardware failure... don't you think?

BTW I haven't made a short circuit (by connecting + & - power supply wires to each other), I just connected one of the power supply wires to one of the data wires & it was not on purpose... that's it! n nothing more....

masood73
Paper Tape
Views: 2,510
Message 4 of 10

Anyone??? I'm waiting for the answer.... Someone pleaseee help me... my important files are stuck in that laptop...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,501
Message 5 of 10

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Masood73 !

If you connected the 5 volt wire to one of the data wires you more than likely blew out a component on the motherboard.  Try stripping everything out of the laptop.  Remove the memory, hard drive, optical drive, wireless card, etc and then try powering the computer up.  If the machine doesn't show any lights illuminating or it doesn't produce an audible beep then it is safe to assume the motherboard is bad and needs replacing.  Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will explain how to remove the various hardware items from the computer.  

The link below is for your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual. When working inside your system please follow all precautions and recommendations that are noted in the manual.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_z410z510z510touch_hmm.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,499
Message 6 of 10

@masood73 wrote:

Anyone??? I'm waiting for the answer.... Someone pleaseee help me... my important files are stuck in that laptop...

If the motherboard is dead then your only option in recovering files from the hard drive is to use another computer to access the hard drive.  If you have a desktop computer available then attach the hard drive from the dead laptop to one of the available SATA ports.  If you only have another laptop available then you can use a SATA USB adapter like this.........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

masood73
Paper Tape
Views: 2,484
Message 7 of 10

Hi Mr.Majestic & thanks for your help. Yep, that seems more like it... I gotta' do the things you said but I still have guarantee left... So I'm gonna' check them out at the lenovo's authorized center this saturday...
I have this question in my mind. couldn't it be the problem of my bios? It maybe needs a clearing or something...
btw if one of my components on my mainboard is dead, so couldn't I just replace that little single component? I mean, do I have to change the whole mainboard just because of that dan little thing??
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,471
Message 8 of 10

"I have this question in my mind. couldn't it be the problem of my bios? It maybe needs a clearing or something..."

You already tried the power button trick and that didn't work.  Since the problem started out by applying power to a data wire a damage component on the motherboard is the likely cause.

"btw if one of my components on my mainboard is dead, so couldn't I just replace that little single component? I mean, do I have to change the whole mainboard just because of that dan little thing??"

It's all about saving time at the service center.  It's quicker to replace the motherboard than to trace the circuitry for the bad component and then replace the part.  Explain what happened, maybe they have a better solution.

masood73
Paper Tape
Views: 2,449
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for answering...

I gave it to the repairing center, n in the form I wrote "BIOS reset" as a suggestion

they said we reset the bios n that was it! the laptop worked..

thanks again for your help.

you know, the button trick didn't work because I couldn't remove the battery. It's impossible to remove it without unscrewing the whole laptop

thanks again...

PROBLEM SOLVED

behzadsh1994
Paper Tape
Views: 2,087
Message 10 of 10

Hi masoud I guess you are iranian. Me too.

I had the exact same problem happened to me last night.

Can I have your email for further guidance?

Pls I am really stressed! :'(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors