Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpyderPride
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,076
Message 21 of 34

Re: Headphone audio interference on brand new Z560 - but only when plugged in

Yes, persists in safe mode.

I also have Ubuntu 10.10 installed via wubi, just found out that the issue persists there as well. Must be a hardware issue.

I'm not sure this is worth returning the laptop for, since I like pretty much everything about it so far and if I am wearing headphones I have sound playing (and can't hear the static).
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,073
Message 22 of 34

it sounds like it's hardware issue. i suggest you to ship it back to the lenovo support center.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Kalliopeia
What's DOS?
Views: 1,055
Message 23 of 34

I've had my Z560 for about two months now, and never had any problems with it until this past weekend, when I started getting the headphone static problem. As others have described, this problem only exists when the AC adapter is plugged in. I've tried every solution suggested in this thread, plus a few others like doing system restore to before I started getting the problem and updating/rolling back the drivers. Nothing works. I still have the problem even when I use a different adapter/headphones or start the computer in safe mode.

Has anyone shipped their computer to the Lenovo Support Center and had the problem fixed?

SpyderPride
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,031
Message 24 of 34

@Kalliopeia wrote:

Has anyone shipped their computer to the Lenovo Support Center and had the problem fixed?

I probably won't.  It's not really bad enough to be worth being without a computer for 2 weeks or more.  I hear it when my headphones (studio monitors) are on and no sound is playing.  The room has to be pretty quiet also; the sound of the cooling fan almost covers it up in that case.  If it were loud enough that I could hear it through quiet music or even the TV in the next room, I would probably get the repair/replace done.

douglasrice
Paper Tape
Views: 899
Message 25 of 34

Hi,

Have exactly the same problem, but did not use headphones until 6 weeks after purchase, so can't send it back to the supplier.  

I sent it back to the Lenovo Service Centre and have just got it back with a note saying "tested on soak with and without psu no noise found in sound possible cause may be faulty headphones or any other source near by".

At first I laughed at this note, then my mood turned to disbelief and now I'm pretty miffed off.

Last night I tried it with 3 different sets of headphones and in 4 different power sockets at home and my garage! 

I've even tried it at work in case I have bad power supply to my house - same problem.

Myself, wife and collegue have listen to sound via headphones and all of us hear the static.

Sending it back to Lenovo today, and want it fixed.  Otherwise I want a refund.  I don't want another laptop as this is great (apart from the sound problem), however, I listen to a lot of music via the laptop when working, so this fault is unacceptable.

I agree with others who have the same issue in that  this is a hardware problem.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 895
Message 26 of 34

I know this solution is a bit lame but you could go with either a PCMCIA sound card or an external USB sound card.  Lame for portability and also lame that Lenovo doesn't seem to want to fix it.  I have a Z560 and have not heard this static through my headphones.  However, when plugged in I also wanted surround sound with external speakers so I am now using an external USB sound card.  Works well.

douglasrice
Paper Tape
Views: 885
Message 27 of 34

Luckily a friend recently bought a Lenovo Z570 and it has the same power lead as my Z560

Plugged headphones and power supply into his laptop and lo and behold no static, however, his laptop had a dead pixel on arrival!

Plugged his power lead into my laptop and the same static issue occurs - so it is definitely NOT the power supply. 

I suspect it is a batch of faulty soundcard chips - the soundcard in the Z570 is realtek, whereas Z560 is Conexant CX20671

I'm very disappointed with both mine and my friends laptops being faulty on receipt.

Lenovo's reputation is going to take a battering if they are consistently producing faulty laptops!

staringatstars
Blue Screen Again
Views: 875
Message 28 of 34

http://leshcat.blogspot.com/2011/06/realtek-driver-r261-multi-installer-3.html

try this. Use option No. 2 when comes to customizing.

douglasrice
Paper Tape
Views: 847
Message 29 of 34

Thanks for the info staringatstars, unfortunately, the problem still persists.

I sent the laptop back to the service centre.  Lenovo sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with the sound and that it is either the headphones I use or "external sound".

This is not true as I've tried 3 different headphones and tried the sound in different parts of my house and at work....still the problem persists.

Sent it back again, stating the above and sent a copy of this thread.  Received the laptop back today with a note saying that the motherboard has been changed.

However, the issue still exists.....sigh..anger......I think it is sheilding problem of some sort - probably to do with the hard drive as the noise is very apparent when the hard drive is being accessed, although moving the mouse increases the noise.

Friends have listened and hear the noise...so not my imagination.

I've tried another power supply (Lenovo brand) and the issue still exists.  Tried my power supply with a friends brand new Lenovo Z570 (which incidently has a dead pixel on the screen) and no static can be heard from his headphone socket when the power is plugged in. So definately not the power supply.

Asked for this to be escalated.....stating that I want to exchange for another model or get a refund. 

Very disappointed....thought Lenovo was a good brand....not so sure now.

So, there is an inherent design fault in this model as far as I can tell.

I hope they change it for another model of the same price, otherwise I'll be forced to seek a resolution via the small claims court.

douglasrice
Paper Tape
Views: 826
Message 30 of 34

My last hope was to change the hard drive to see if the hard drive was faulty - installed different hard drive, but same problem exists.

Now writing to the company I bought the laptop from, to exchange for another model or get a full refund.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors