Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bentonmj
Paper Tape
Views: 842
Message 1 of 11

Z565 Brightness Increments

Hello, everyone -

I recently replaced the hard drive in my Ideapad Z565. No problems - everything seems to work as it should - with one exception. I can no longer adjust the screen brightness in increments as I could before. The Fn - Up/Dn simply toggles brightness between extremely bright (too bright) and fairly dim (too dim). Also gone are the increment bars that used to show on the screen. Is this maybe a driver issue? The volume increments no longer show either, but the volume adjustment seems to work fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 818
Message 2 of 11

Re: Z565 Brightness Increments

Are you using an lenovo display driver? , if you are using one from the intel website you will loose brightness control.

Have you installed the power mangment software, also one called capsosd if you have it for your model.

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Former Employee
Views: 811
Message 3 of 11

Hi bentonmj,

I Would Strongly suggest you follow what Tinderbox_UK has suggested and download the Lenovo Energy Management software. The Brightness and Fn Key are controlled through the Energy management to ensure the system runs optimally.

Hope this helps.

regards
bentonmj
Paper Tape
Views: 795
Message 4 of 11

Thank you, John and NINE.

Well, I thought it was fixed, but no. I installed/reinstalled the energy management, caps osd, and graphics drivers. The brightness increments do show now when I use Fn-Up/Dn, and the brightness level indicator moves correctly. HOWEVER, the screen brightness still just toggles back and forth between very bright and very dim, even though the level indicator moves up and down incrementally. There doesn't seem to be an energy management setting that changes this.

Thanks again for any input.

Former Employee
Views: 784
Message 5 of 11

Hi bentonmj,

Which operting system are you currently running on your machine Win7 or Win8?

bentonmj
Paper Tape
Views: 780
Message 6 of 11

Win 7. And I made sure the drivers I downloaded were for 7.

Former Employee
Views: 772
Message 7 of 11

Hi bentomj,

Could you try out the link below and let me know how it goe.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS011084

Regards
bentonmj
Paper Tape
Views: 758
Message 8 of 11

I think this is the same driver I downloaded before, but I went ahead and reinstalled it. No change. Brightness still toggles bright/dim, even though brightness indicator travels incrementally left/right with Fn-Dn/Up.

Former Employee
Views: 746
Message 9 of 11

Hi bentonmj,

After checking a little deepr into your caseI was wondering you you had check the advance setting of the Windows power manager and chage the threshhold of the dimm displays.

To this you first require to go to the control panel and open up the Window power manager. (see illustartion below.)

Capture.PNG

One you have the winddow opened, Click on "Change Plan Settings". From there a new menu should appear.

Capture2.PNG

From this menu, Click on "Change Advanve Power Settings". Another menu should appear.

Capture3.PNG

Once you get to this menu, Look for Display and seslect the options you desire. You can change the threshold to which ever suits your needs.

Another thing in this menu you can also select 'Lenovo Dynamic Graphics as an option". This can be done by click the /drop down menu that you at the top in this illustration.

Hope this helps.

Regards

bentonmj
Paper Tape
Views: 738
Message 10 of 11

Thanks, but I cannot find any setting combination that restores the incremental brightness control. It still toggles between bright and dim.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors