Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JessC
Paper Tape
Views: 466
Message 11 of 19

Re: Z565 slowness problem

Tried the ethernet cable, no change. I called tech support yesterday and they had no solutions so they want me to send me the laptop to them. Does anyone else have any other ideas? Shipping the laptop away is my last resort.

Former Administrator
Views: 459
Message 12 of 19

Have you had a look in task manager to see what processes and programs are running?    Any processes consuming a lot of CPU cycles?

You could try MSCONFIG and try to reduce what is loaded on startup as a test to see if that improves things...?

Mark

JessC
Paper Tape
Views: 449
Message 13 of 19

Yes, only the necessary things are running in both areas. I also just discovered the dust cleaning feature, I don't know how effective it is but I ran that. I guess the only thing to do is send it in now. Maybe something went wrong with the graphics card or driver, I don't know. Thanks though.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 440
Message 14 of 19

JessC

If  your system is running slowly I would also suggest that you try and use the inbuilt performance tool in windows. Go to 

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting and select  "Check for performace issues"

You can also go to 

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools

and check if windows is flagging any reasons for the degradation in your PC's performance.It should look something similar to this 

capture.jpg

Hope this helps 

chasetheman
Paper Tape
Views: 195
Message 15 of 19

very carefully remove the bottom plate, it has about 10 screws that DO NOT come out, be very careful to remove all screws including the depthy keyboard screws BEFORE you ply at the bottom plate. plate should come off with ease once all screws are untightened, you will notice the screws (except for the keyboard screws) will stick to the plate because they have a bottom underwasher. Loosen all screws and remove the plate as one unit, on my first attempt i snapped a corner off the bottom plate at the screw, must be old plastic. 

take a can of compressed air and clock and anticlockwise blow out the cpu fan in the upper right corner and generally spray the dust around the ram and other circuitry parts.

replace the screws being carefull to snap in parts of the bottom plate as you screw. power on and enjoy the speed difference dude ! greatly fixed my z565 ! fan runs cooler now and system runs with stability and strength. 

this method removes dust that spraying the fan vent cowling holes with not permeate. not telling you what to do , just from my own z565 experience, will need a expert screwdriver, i have a computer screwdriver with a crown that swivels as i apply pressure (i press on it, it holds still as the screwdriver spins) this helps you apply pressure to these tough screws. would use the appropriate screwdriver, WOULD NOT want a stripped screw in your z565. Enjoy and it let me know what works. Read your post and bought 4 gigabytes of kingston ddr3 so-dimm (kingston has full lifetime ram warranty) and then i was like hmm how to install the ram, behold, removing the big bottom panel and behold... the hard drive, 2 ram slots, cpu cover and fan ! might as well clean it out while i have all of 10 screws loosened. runs 10x or more faster, was tired of the windows 7 start menu locking up . enjoy the guide and leave some feedback if this works !

i cleaned out the fan successfully removing the bottom plate and saw the perfomance increase, what happened ? before i was using the cowling holes to blow out the fan. does not work. blow with enough air until the fan spins and then blow it the opposite direction again. a baby can do it !

chasetheman
Paper Tape
Views: 174
Message 16 of 19

hello, sorry for the poor response, got a good response from fully cleaning out the fan, performed well for about 5 minutes after every startup, tried going against microsoft and downloaded kubuntu 16.04.1 and experienced some problems such as when the laptop idles down into suspend mode it locks off the computer almost permanently, trying to update to windows 10 to see if this will fix it. Am still running off my stock 3 GB (although i know this is not standard) am trying different operating systems, as the laptop powers on fast and runs strong until i start to browse or launch the start menu. Maybe the problem is in the rolling list of the sp1 updates as i do not have the original windows 7 home premium disk without the service pack. Believing that the problem is OS inherent. I hope windows 10 solves it !

chasetheman
Paper Tape
Views: 173
Message 17 of 19

by the way the system requirements for windows 7 + 10 is 1 GB of ram for 32 bit (not the case here) and 2 GB for 64 bit. I am running all 3 GB and not getting a super response from the OS with windows 7 sp1. will report back soon if i can get windows 10

chasetheman
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 18 of 19

oh and i installed a SSD and reinstalled windows 7 sp1 64 bit and still got the same response, laggy browsing even after full drivers installs. Still looking for the solution. Probably not a hard drive problem. Still looking at the OS. If anyone has the original windows 7 home premium disk without the SP1 please report !

chasetheman
Paper Tape
Views: 156
Message 19 of 19

ok so Windows 10 is the best OS yet ! The only problem with it is that when it goes into suspend mode after X minutes it does not come out, have adjusted my computers response time before suspend mode kicks in , however sometimes it still goes to a grey/black screen and a good hard restart is required. otherwise the os is snappy and responsive, have upgraded the hard drive to an SSD , have 6GB of ram in it, and have sprayed out the fan. 

Overall comments

so much better then windows 7 which worked for the first 5 minutes quickly then stepped on off. has good overall performance and only the stability is in question, however when and if it runs it runs great, wish i had more like 95% uptime, most times when i leave laptop running i return to a grey screen after a few hours and it requires a hard restart. Best solution so far

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors