Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Riso
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,464
Message 1 of 27

Z570 - Recovery from OKR backup problem

I have NB Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 (from Christmas 2011).
At 2 November 2013 I backed up the system disk using One Key Recovery.
The size of C: partition was approx. 670 gigabytes, approximately halfway filled (photos, videos, etc.).
Backup ran all night, but in the morning the advance was done, no error message or warning was not there. Backup size was approx. 376 gigabytes
A few days before Christmas (at 17/12/2013 ) the hard drive failed. There were a number of bad sectors on it. Until the end of the guarantee remained approx . 2 days. Although I managed to fix hard disk using chkdsk, the number of bad sectors means that HDD is bad. I put it thus in warranty repair shop replaced. Trying to backup using OKR despite Win7 backup system failed this time, I have therefore relied on the November backup.
However, when the NB came out repairs exchanged harddisk, I found that my OKR backup fails - reported something like "The Image file is not valid ... " . After a phone call to the call center I just learned that the original hard drive I cannot get back and that probably my backup is bad. They advised me company that provides after-sales service. But there told me that they are doing just ThinkPads, IdeaPads they only send somewhere to Poland to replace parts.
Further investigation on the Lenovo websites I found that while OKR will make a deposit of any size , but in an earlier version is able to make the recovery only from 100 GB backup and later from 300 GB. For larger backups than 300 (in an earlier version 100) GB writes the message "The Image file is not valid ..." and refuses to continue. However, neither NB nor user manual for OKR mention about it.
Does anyone advise me how to restore data from this backup?
Or at least some address at Lenovo, where they advise me how to solve this problem?

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Riso
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,445
Message 2 of 27

Re: Recovery from OKR backup problem

Nobody helps?
bchiszar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,409
Message 3 of 27

Not too sure of your situation, but I happened to stumble upon your plea while researching my own nightmare with my Ideapad y500 (one of the most *explicative* up, locked up pieces of you know what that I have ever owned or heard of anyone knowing, and I work on computers for a living so I seen thousands. But I digress... Lenovo uses standard compression techniques for creating its backups, so although you may not be able to restore the image to its original state, you may still be able to extract or mount the backup image and copy your files out of it. I have found 7zip and Power ISO work well if the image isn't corrupted. explore your backup folders and look for {your backup}.wim or {some other file}.okr... *Hint - they are usually the rather overly large files. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Riso
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,385
Message 4 of 27

Thank You for Your answer.

But unfortunately the only file types of my OKR backup, respectively the file extensions, are

.okd (default backup only)
.wsi
.oki
.dsi

I don`t know which compression technique Lenovo OKR uses and by which utility I can open these files.
I tried to open these files in 7zip, but it was not able to open none of them. 

bchiszar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,369
Message 5 of 27

The first step for me was identifying the recovery images. The name and file extension are not as important as the file size. I did finally succeed in downloading win 8.1 core (skipping 8 tottally) AND using the built in key. It was a pain but it can be done. I finally muscled through the "huge pain / learning experience" of installing Windows 8.1, skipping 8 altogether. Below are the steps that I took and the concepts you must understand.

# 1 >>  First and most  importantly, you must understand that you stand no chance of loading Windows 8.1 properly, using your built in license if you do not install it in pure EFI. So then the challendge becomes booting into a medium that is UEFI. A Windows 8.1 PE live image would have been perfect in this situation, but alas I didn't have one. I imagine  you may be able to use a Windows7 Live Disc/USb for the following steps, but I just ended up downloading a pirated & precracked version of windows 8.1 so that I could run the software to recover the key from the UEFI firmware.  ** IMPORTANT - Once again, please understand that if you do not boot up into pure UEFI (no legacy support enabled in bios), your computer will be running off of an emulated bios running between your OS and your firmware which I have come to suspect is the reason I could never get any other OS to run stable after I wiped windows completely.

# 2 >> Boot into your temporary UEFI Windows and dl and run This Program to reveal your product key. Copy and paste it into text file and save it on your usb or email it to urself. 

# 3 >> From this point, your mileage may vary... if you can find a clean oem installable image of 8.1, god bless your heart. Download it, burn it to disk. Make copies. Otherwise you should be able to launch the Windows 8.1 installer directly from your Live CD/USB... I'm thinkin this is the way I went. Upgrade / Installer

# 4 >> Before the install gets too carried away, it asks you for your product key... copy and paste as you see fit, install takes about 20 min and you are good to go. 

// I did have issues building a bootable UEFI drive at first. The key to this is to use a program like Rufus to create a your drive so that it looks like          #### NTFS PARTITION #### | ####UEFI ### | 000000 EMPTY 00000000 |

Then, using your favorite martition manager software, move the UEFI partition to the end of the USB medium and expand the ntfs partition.When your done the the partitions should look like 

#### NTFS PARTITION ################################### | ####UEFI ### | 

It should boot into UEFI at that point and I think that is where most people fail. Good luck.

Riso
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,350
Message 6 of 27

Sorry, I don`t understand, it looks as You are describing the solution of the different problem.

I`ve found that the OKR backup image maybe can be open and decompressed using tool named decompressenginewasay.exe, which is part of the so named rytools and should be contained in rytools.rar. It seems to be the part of Acer`s eRecovery system tools or what.

But I cannot find neither this rytools.rar nor decompressenginewasay.exe on web. Please, can somebody help me with this and tell me where can I find usable download of this tools?

keoanu
Paper Tape
Views: 4,280
Message 7 of 27

For anyone who has the same problem, please try this solution

The solution is based on WinPE 5.0 x86 (MBR/UEFI) with 2 options:

1. Mount WSI image (used by DSI file) as Virtual Image Drive - you can restore a particular files you want

2. Restore entire WSI image to selected partition

Please read help and instructions, and be carefull with using this solution. Highly recommended to create a copy of your WSI image (all files of OKR image) and use this one for restoration process. This solution was tested for WSI images created by OKR 7 (OKR 8 with multiple DSI files and GPT structure may not working)

Riso
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,251
Message 8 of 27

The link "uloz.to/xLAa5Uu2/wsi-rec-zip" doesn`t work.

keoanu
Paper Tape
Views: 4,242
Message 9 of 27

Hi, what do you mean that the link doesn't work? I have just tried to download the file from posted link. And I was successful. So it seems the link is working.

Riso
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,235
Message 10 of 27

Maybe the network firewall in my office is the reason... I will try it at home. Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors