Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zerofate
Paper Tape
Views: 1,912
Message 1 of 6

Z570 random complete system freeze

Hi

I brought a Lenovo z570 a couple of months ago and the first thing i did was replace the hard drive with a ssd. I tried a fresh install but that failed so instead I copied the os from the orginal hard drive with acronis true image home. I restored the copy to the ssd and booted up the computer. It works well however occasionally the entire system will just lock. No mouse response, no keys nothing. And the screen freezes with its last known picture ( theres no bsod). I looked in the event viewer and I cant find anything that would be causing this issue. After a freese i have to hold the power button down to turn it off.

Its been happening for a good few months now. I had hoped that the new bios would sold the issue however it has not as it just happened to me moments ago (prompting this post)

Could you advise what I can check to try and track down this rather catastrophic issue?

Alec

Former Employee
Views: 1,879
Message 2 of 6

Re: Z570 random complete system freeze

hey zerofate,

welcome to the forum and just to be certain you have updated all your drivers,softwares, etc as per this link : http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=307140 ?

Anyway, when the freezing occurs.. are you using any specific software?

does this happen only after a certain of hours of usage or does it happen randomly ?

if you could, remove all software that is installed on your unit and then use it and see if it freezes.

after that slowly install one software, then use your unit and see if it freezes.

repeat the process. i do realize that this is going to take forever; however, with this we probably could see which software might be causing the issue.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
zerofate
Paper Tape
Views: 1,775
Message 3 of 6

Hi Serge1410,

I have come back to respond to the answer you gave. Its impossible to pin down the issue in this manner.

Since the crash is random and I cant replicate it - I cant run the laptop for days at a time slowly installing software hoping it will crash.

Since I reported the problem I have tried the following things:

Full reinstall of windows 7 x64 on ssd - still crashed

Full install of windows 7 x64 on the original hard drive in an encolsure (removed cd rom drive) - still crashed.

So please can you tell me what could be causing this?

I dont seem to have any driver problems. What else can I do to diagnose this problem. This laptop is supposed to be a machine for work and I *really* cant have it just freezing randomly.

So please someone suggest another fix.

Alec

z575-owner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,772
Message 4 of 6

Have you tried installing the OS on the original HDD? If the system runs well with the OS on the platter drive then I would begin to suspect that the SSD may be defective or the SSD may be the device that has compatability issues with other hardware.

Have you checked discussion boards about issues with your specific make and model of SSD?

--Steve in California--
zerofate
Paper Tape
Views: 1,744
Message 5 of 6

Hi Steve

You raise a good question however I have tried running it on the original hard drive and encountered the exact same freeze.

It really is incredibly frustrating as it seems impossible to predict when the freeze will happen.

zerofate
Paper Tape
Views: 1,726
Message 6 of 6

I may have found the cause and solution to my issue.

I believe it was a Mouse driver lockup. I always use a logitech mx 518 when I use my z570. After much googling people have problems with mice and windows x64 sometimes. I installed logitech setpoint and it installed new drivers for my mouse. So far no crashes and no problems

If it starts crashing again I shall return.. However currently its running!

Alc

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals