Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emanueLczirai
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,587
Message 1 of 2

Z575 2nd hard drive caddy worked perfectly

Hi.

I just want to inform people who care that for Lenovo Ideapad Z575 the following caddy (icy box) worked perfectly for me:

Raidsonic Icy Box IB-AC642

http://www.raidsonic.de/en/products/details.php?we_objectID=8030

I was even able to move the securing 1 screw piece from the ODD(optical disk drive) to the caddy, not to mention the obvious: front face panel.

The ODD works well in the DVD housing which is made of thick metal (painted black) and it's cool and a bit heavy.

The only "problem" would be that there's a led in front of the caddy which is always on, but I remember that it can be unplugged, I'm just too lazy to reopen the laptop again, at this time. But there's a small cooler-fan-like jack inside the caddy connecting the led which can be removed and replugged later on.

The real problem is that when I add an ESATA HDD, so that there are now 3 disk devices (my previous SSD in the caddy, my actual SSD in place of the laptop's hdd inside the laptop, and the external hdd connected at the ESATA port which acts as an ESATA/USB combo, Z575 has this one portSmiley Wink, then the BIOS locks up right at the point when it should boot. There's no typing cursor, I'm pretty sure it's the BIOS locking up and not something else like MBR code. Sometimes it just automatically reboots and then it locks up the second time it hits that point(EDIT: locks up = there's a black screen without typing cursor but with backlight on(as it is normal) and sometimes ctrl+alt+del works to reboot sometimes it doesn't), . I believe the solution would be to have Lenovo fix this with a new BIOS download, but honestly I do not believe they will bother (still, i haven't tried to contact them yet, not sure how to at the moment). The workaround, that is, if I don't care to wanna boot from the ESATA(but I do!) is to plug in the ESATA only after having booted into Windows, this way works just fine, 'cause bios doesn't execute that boot point which makes it lockup.

Having just the 2 drives (without the ESATA) works just fine.

Here's a pic of bios while having all 3 drives (except it won't boot at all). Also when I turn it off after locking up, then wait 10 sec then turn it on, entering the password will beep when pressing the key i unless I hit Ctrl key first to unstick it. Not sure what unsticking is happening, but pressing Ctrl and releasing it, then trying i key again makes it work.

http://imgur.com/a/U9GeN

I am currently using a workaound vmware workstation for booting from the ESATA, seems ok with me, but I wish I had a fixed BIOS to flash

EDIT2: this caddy also comes with an USB to 5V male jack  cable which is needed to give power to the DVD housing (where the old ODD is placed in), so then you'd need two USB ports available if you want to connect your old ODD to your laptop(or desktop)

I am actually using this USB to 5V cable perfectly for Logic LH-50 which doesn't come with any power adapter for the FM transmitter but does have the 5V port available. (it's expected that you use 2 x AAA batteries for the FM transmitter as well as another 2 x AAA for the headphones - just to be clear)

Moderator Note; subject edited

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,562
Message 2 of 2

Re: Z575 2nd hard drive caddy worked perfectly

Hi
A very good info, i must say. Will help other people having the same doubts!!
Regards
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors