Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gilthanis1
Paper Tape
Views: 575
Message 1 of 15

Z575 Wireless speed problem

Hello all! I have recently noticed that my wireless card, the stock Ralink RT3090 will not connect at a wireless speed faster than 20-25mps. I can connect with a network cable to my router and get 65+ mpbs. 

My wireless router is the Netgear WNDR3400, so I know it supports the speed. I have double checked the drivers in the system and they are the latest available. I also went into device manaer, clicked on Ralink RT3090, properties, and tried to make sure that 802.11 a/b/n was selected, but there is no 'wireless' option under the properties for the card .Does anyone have any ideas? Its got me stumped and I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out. I have attached a picture of the wireless properties as I see it on my screen. The driver version is 5.0.21.0 from 18FEB13. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

link to image

image(s) >50k converted to the link(s)

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 566
Message 2 of 15

Re: Z575 Wireless speed problem

have you tried to re-install/update drivers from lenovo first and if it doesn't work, manufacturer's website?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Gilthanis1
Paper Tape
Views: 541
Message 3 of 15

Yes, I have updated from Lenovo and Ralink as well. Even the Ralink WLAN software only has a maximum throughput of 54mbps, and I know the wireless card in this laptop will do better than that.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 533
Message 4 of 15
Gilthanis1
Paper Tape
Views: 522
Message 5 of 15

I worked through both suggested articles with no luck. I made sure I am the only computer connected to the router to make sure an older device wasnt causing the router to throttle the speeds. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers again to be sure. Checked all options, turned on the suggested functions from the first article, and checked in safe mode with the same result. I did watch the speed on a wlan monitor SLOW DOWN during a test on speedtest.net. Dropped from 54mbps down to 36mbps, but rose back up once the test was over. This is maddening because I even double checked the card to make sure it was an 802.11n card installed.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 520
Message 6 of 15

have you tried to check the connection speed with non-secured wireless?

Gilthanis1
Paper Tape
Views: 515
Message 7 of 15

Yep, tried it with no security and got the same result. Its like the card physically will not do 802.11n even though its supposed to. 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 504
Message 8 of 15

please, try this:

right-click on the battery icon in the system tray.
select "power options"->"change plan settings (in any plan)"->"change advanced power settings".
select the "lenovo energy management" tab and then click on the "enable lenovo energy management" button.

Gilthanis1
Paper Tape
Views: 499
Message 9 of 15

Already tried that one, to make sure nothing was messing with the wireless card. 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 487
Message 10 of 15

can you run resource monitor to check if any software/windows update is using the internet during the test?

ctrl+alt+del > performance > open resource monitor > network

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors