cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
znl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,930
Message 1 of 9

Z580 Battery Issues (Or WIndows, Or Drivers??)

Greetings!

I purchased a Lenovo Z580 laptop and got the hard drive replaced by a samsung 830 series SSD (128GB) with a fresh W7 install, the store put the 750GB harddrive into an external enclosure and I all this was at a very neat price. The laptop was awesome.

But for the battery.

From day one i had issues of battery lasting only 1.5 to 2 hours on a full charge. I did the following checks:
1. Made sure all device drivers were installed from Lenovo website (or from hard drive OEM folder, whichever were latest). I did this first because the SSD had a fresh W7 install.
2. Made sure all windows updates were installed
3. Levono power management was set for Battery Fully Charged Mode and not Battery protection mode (where battery capacity is limited to, well, less than 100%)

Problem was unresolved. I called the store and they gave me a new battery, no questions asked. Din't fix the problem.

Then they gave me a new laptop, with the same SSD put in. Didn't work. This was two weeks into buying the laptop.

I asked them to put the old 750GB HDD in thinking maybe its the SSD. Didn't fix the problem. (At this stage the laptop was as good as out of the box and I was sure SSD didnt cause the problem). I dont want to ask for money back because I need exactly the configuration present in this laptop, and at the price I got it, it's not possible (at least in The Netherlands). Also, it's sold out. Aside from this issue, the laptop is perfect.

Meanwhile, I ran the powercfg -energy and found the some USB devices were not entering powersave mode. Output below:

Errors

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 USB
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_0489&PID_E032
Port Path 1,4
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Root Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1E26
Port Path
Device Name Generic USB Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path 1
CPU UtilizationSmiley Tonguerocessor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 6.49

I made the fixes mentioned on a few places on the internet, and well, those things are now gone. Maybe the situation is better now, but now i get around 3 hours on a charge.

I also noticed in Advanced power settings of all profiles that minimum processor state on battery was 5%, i changed it to 0%. Why not.

Now, the only thing that kind of bothers me is the continuous fan on the side of the laptop. It's on all the time. Is that normal? Its not particularly noisy but when I hold up my ear i can imagine the fan is quite busy. I changed the "Thermal Managment" to "Super Silent" and the noise reduces, and battery uptime goes up to 4 hours. Still not nearly there. I expect at least 6 hours for a new laptop.

My gut feeling is something to do with drivers (still) or some power management issue between intel 4000 onboard graphics and the nvidia chipset. In BIOS I can select Optimus (both) or intel only. But ideally I would like to make use of the nvidia gerforce and permanently switch off the intel 4000. How can I do it safely? I dont want to go to device manager and disable it. If my display is using intel at that moment, its all gone then. Isn't it?

But before I go in that direction, am I missing something? How can a Lenovo offer only 4 hours of battery out of the box? Is the problem with my expectation?

banmedo
Punch Card
Views: 2,907
Message 2 of 9

Re: Z580 Battery Issues (Or WIndows, Or Drivers??)

i am getting around 3hrs+ backup on full charge too so i think its normal?? well i expected more too but idk well i was not looking into it but if you get it to give such backup somehow plz share Smiley Happy

znl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,903
Message 3 of 9

I've worked with plentry of Lenovo laptops at work and personally and have never been disappointed with battery or performance, as long as I have the software updates and drivers. This is a first, and I am pretty sure its not the hardware because frankly, I can't be that unlucky, given the story i wrote above.

I'm sure something is wrong with drivers and Lenovo is going to release updated drivers to fix it.

Are there any tools out there to comprehensively check power management/ fan speed/ tempratures etc. and suggest fixes? powercfg gives basic info, and I already resolved all of that.

znl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,885
Message 4 of 9

Hello Everyone,

Posting to close this thread - my problem seems to have been solved.

I am not sure what resolved it, but I have done a number of things since including:

- reinstalling the intel chipset drivers from intel's website rather than from the OEM folder given by Lenovo. They seem to be release late last month.

- also updated the nvidia 630M drivers - the sequence also seems to have made some difference. I don't really know how it works but maybe that did not make any difference also, but i seem to be the case.

- in lenovo energy management, there is an option to switch off disk when not in use. it does not given you an option after how much time, but i switched it on. Whatever.

- in windows power settings, in both balanced and power saver mode i changed the hard rive switch off timeout to one minute. With 8GB of RAM and page file reduced to 512MB only, I dont think my system needs read/write unless i download/copy or sleep/hibernate. It does nto result in any issues with disk access performance, at least not with my ssd.

- in advanced power settings, changed wifi to operate on maximum power savings. basically changed setting to max power save everywhere i saw.

- usb selective suspend was enabled. disabled it, rebooted. enabled it, rebooted.

- same setting for intel graphics

Somethins must have worked. I get a nice 8 theoretical hours from the laptop now, practically 6+.

I guess I'm fine with it now. Problem was in software. I have no compalaints with WIn7, but I guess all said and done, it needs to do a better job at power saving.

banmedo
Punch Card
Views: 2,860
Message 5 of 9

Do you get that much using wifi/internet or playing media or... ?

znl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,719
Message 6 of 9

I get it using wifi/internet, general usage.

if i put speakers on and increase the brightness (watching movies for example) then of course battery runs out much more quickly. haven't measured it though.

the battery output has been stable for a while. I also read on anandtech that samsung 830 series wastes a lot of battery when its ON, but saves a lot of power when its off. for 840 series its the other way round (relatively). i guess my settings of putting SSD to sleep soon made a lot of difference. but hard to pinpoint.

banmedo
Punch Card
Views: 2,697
Message 7 of 9

Could you provide me with the download links of the drivers you downloaded..?? if you dont mind ofc .. Smiley Happy thanks

znl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,667
Message 8 of 9

Drivers from Lenovo Website: Home  > Support > Drivers & Software

Also since I was doing things multiple times in random ways, i also downloaded intel chipset drivers from intel website, and nvidia drivers from nvidia site. I think there is some version difference between the lenovo and intel/nvidia sites but not sure.

By the way the drivers are present in the hard drive in Lenovo_OEM drive under a directory called drivers. You should be able to find all lenovo supplied drivers from there as well, but i would recommend taking the intel chipset and nvidia ones from the respective site.

rugbycelt
Paper Tape
Views: 1,877
Message 9 of 9

my battery doesn't wotk when I unplug it...called Lenovo support this is what they said

Hi David,

Please download battery firmware at the library to fix the battery issue of the computer. Please type in " download battery firmware Lenovo Z580" on google.

Regards,

Lenovo Warranty Support

not much help to a person that doesn't have all that  experience.....where can you download this  firmware...what is formware?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors