cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 3,232
Message 1 of 2

Z580 Bay Adapter... has anyone installed one?

I'm looking to install an optical bay adapter for an ssd. I have seen a lot of them on the market and noticed Silverstone makes some as well. They have a TS08 for slimmer models, and a TS09.

What I am curious about is if the front bezel on the Z580 is removable or not... as the bottom part of the optical drive is rounded towards the bottom. I wouldn't want half an inch sticking out of the bottom of the drive bay area. I have found a lot of people asking about drive bay adapters and mentioing they ordered one etc, but no one post a picture of them installed.

If you have one installed can you post a picture of it and explain which one you used...

bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 3,210
Message 2 of 2

Re: Z580 Bay Adapter... has anyone installed one?

Ok so I recieved my Silverstone TS09 and it fits perfect, the front bezel works perfect as well so I thought I would make a little guide for anyone wanting to do this. You can order one here from amazon for $12. 

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-12-7mm-2-5-Inch-Conversion-TS09/dp/B00AFP89G2

Here is the packaging for the bay adapter. And what it looks like. 

Link to image

Link to image

Obviously take the back panel off your notebook, on the Z580 it is one screw you will see it. Then to remove the optical bay you can see in this image there is only one screw... take this screw out then use your screw driver and put it in the hole where the screw was and slide the bay out...

Link to image

Install your drive in the bay adapter, takes four screws on the bottom these are included with the adapter. Then carefully remove the front bezel of the old optical bay, and snap it onto the new bay adapter. It fits perfect. 

Link to image

Then to install the bay adapter you need to remove this mount from the old optical drive you can see it installed on the bay adapter in this image, screws are included for this as well with the silverstone adapter. 

Link to image

And here it is installed. As you can see it lines up perfect. 

Link to image

Once you have it installed here is how you can format the old drive and wipe all of the partitions if you want to. I used the stock drive for the storage drive as I installed an SSD for the main drive. 

Run CMD you can get to this by hitting the windows key and typing cmd. Once this load type diskpart this will open a new command promt window with diskpart loaded. Then you can use the below image for a guide. 

Once disk part loads you will want to type list disk and press enter. This will list the current disks installed on the machine. So you know which one is your os and storage etc. 

commands to format the disk....png

And here you can see it shown as an extra drive...

storage drive.png

Mod edit:  Converted pics to links per Forum Rule:  50k limit on pics.  Please convert pics to links if pics are over 50k in size. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors