Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JakeStiebs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,043
Message 1 of 7

Z580 - Dolby Home Theater v4 not working after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi there,

I just upgraded to Wndows 10 Home from Windows 8.1; everything went smoothly except for the fact that Dolby Home Theater v4 does not work. I had to reinstall it using the .msi file found in the Realtek Audi folders. I chose v4 over any of the other versions because I like how I can tune the equalizer to my liking and different uses. Anyways, the regular audio works and Dolby is turned on but there is no activity appearing on the equalizer and my music does not change once adjusted. Had this problem when doing an optional audio driver update in the past when I was running 8.1. I do not have the option to rollback the driver after upgrading to Windows 10. Does anyone have a solution to this issue or know what the correct Realtek driver is to make Dolby work? This is one of my favorite features of my laptop and I really want it up and running again!

Thank you in advance!

JakeStiebs

My unit: Lenovo Ideapad Z580 running Windows 10 Home with Realtek Audio Driver 6.0.1.7535

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity

JakeStiebs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,810
Message 2 of 7

Solved: Dolby Home Theater v4 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade

For those of you still struggling to find the solution to get your Dolby Home Theater v4 equalizer back on Windows 10, you are in luck. Warning: I highly reccomend cresting a backup before starting this process in case anything goes wrong. There are multiple ways to do that and I usually create a restore point and a system image.

Step 1: Install Dolby Home Theater

If you know that it is installed already skip to Step 2. Look under the control panel to see if it is listed there, if it is go to Step 2, if not go to C>Drivers>Realtek Audio Driver>PCEE4>DolbyHomeTheater.msi and double click and install the software. Restart your computer!

Step 2: Uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio speaker driver

Go to the device manager and expand Audio inputs and outputs. Right click and hit uninstall where it says: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio). Hit scan for hardware changes. If it still shows the speakers listed, right click and uninstall again. Hit scan for hardware changes and it should be gone. Do not restart your computer!

Step 3: Install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver that is compatible with Dolby Home Theater v4

Go to D>Drivers>Audio>Setup.exe and double click and follow the process. If it asks for a restart after uninstalling the driver go ahead and do so. Then it will install the compatible driver and ask for a restart again to finish, do it.

Step 4: Install Dolby

Go to this website:

http://www.thewindowsplanet.com/3765/dolby-home-theater-missing-after-windows-10-upgrade.htm

Scroll down to the green box that says Download Dolby Home Theater (for Lenovo). Click on it and let it download. Run the file. Install Dolby.

Step 5: Check to make sure it works

Go to the taskbar and click on the Dolby icon. Hit the settings cog on the blue menu. The equalizer should pop up. Hit the power button in the upper left hand corner. Play some music and see if you see activity in the equalizer.

For me this worked on my Lenovo Ideapad Z580. I followed the steps from the link I gave you and reiterated them here a little bit more concise. Sorry no time for screen captures. But you can see those if you would like on that same link.

I am so happy to have my favorite feature back while still being able to have Windows 10. I highly reccomend creating a restore point before and after this in case anything happens during installation. Be sure to stay on top of Windows updates to make sure there isn't one for Realtek High Definition Audio driver because that will update it to a newer and incompatible version. If you do end up updating it by accident don't panic and go to the Device Manger and open up the properties of the Realtek High Definition Audio driver and click on the Driver tab and click Roll Back Driver. If that isn't an option go back to a previous backup or do these steps again.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

JakeStiebs

TheMrEm
What's DOS?
Views: 25,496
Message 3 of 7

Re: Solved: Dolby Home Theater v4 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade

Cold you share the version of the audio driver you installed?  I also have a Z580. but did not have a Driver folder.  I followed thses steps acouple of times to no avail. I think the audio driver version is the issue for me.

JakeStiebs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,480
Message 4 of 7

I am now running Realtek High Definition Audio driver version: 6.0.1.6695.

TheMrEm
What's DOS?
Views: 25,368
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the driver information.  That did the trick for me as well as follwoing the directions.

JakeStiebs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,656
Message 6 of 7

Re: Z580 - Dolby Home Theater v4 not working after upgrading to Windows 10

Note that in step 3 when it first asks for a restart, the installer should start itself upon startup and continue the process. This isn't always the case and you need to do it yourself by going to: D>Drivers>Audio>Setup.exe to continue the process. I had to go through these steps again after the latest Windows 10 upgrade.
JakeStiebs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,253
Message 7 of 7

Re: Z580 - Dolby Home Theater v4 not working after upgrading to Windows 10

This is where you can download the required driver:

Realtek Audio Driver (ALC269) (v6.0.1.6696), it can be downloaded here http://www.driverslenovo.com/2015/09/lenovo-y500-drivers-for-windows-108187.html (win 10: yes)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors