Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Embodien
Paper Tape
Views: 2,699
Message 1 of 6

Z580 Graphics card drivers

Ok I'm not great with computers I've seen all the other threads on updating drivers etc. When i bought this laptop i thought i had a built in nvidia graphics card but after checking my settings the only one i have is an intel hd 4000. 

So my question is,

Is this graphics card sufficient to pay such as battlefield, asssassins creed, borderlands etc?

Also, i tried updating the graphics card, both the intel vga and the nvidia optimus and both say that my laptop is not compatible or it does not meet the requirements, so how do i update my drivers? I'm running windows 8 32 bit , 1TB memory  and 8GB RAM with intel i5 which i thought would be sufficient. And im fairly sure my graphics card is built in. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense im not that great with computers and I've only had this laptop since Decemeber

Thanks

Embodien

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,665
Message 2 of 6

Re: Z580 Graphics card drivers

hi Embodien,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

If you have the switchable graphics (Intel+Nvidia) GPU via Optimus Technology, this unit is good enough to play BF3, hitting high settings @ around 25FPS. Check this video and this review for reference.

For updating the video card, you can try one of the following:

1. Install the Intel Display Driver first and install the Nvidia Drivers

2. Download the Intel+Nvidia driver package from the lenovo website

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Embodien
Paper Tape
Views: 2,649
Message 3 of 6

I've updated the intel display driver after allowing intel to scan my laptop to check for updates. ( it was a driver update). I'm currently unsure whether i have an NVIDIA graphics card in my laptop as I don't have the sticker on my laptop and when i did:

RUN msinfo32 

It stated I had an intel HD 4000 graphics and gave no information about an NVIDIA one. Also if this turns out to be the case and I infact don't have an NVIDIA graphics card how capable is the built in intel HD4000 graphics card by itself and would be able to add an NVIDIA graphics card seeing as other models had it.

Currently I've tried 2 games which work pretty well in my opinion. Batman arkham asylum is playable on very high but is slightly more fluid on lower settings but is playable without problems. Batman arkham city is very fluent on medium settings and I haven't tried any higher settings.

Thanks

Embodien

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,633
Message 4 of 6

hi Embodien,

If you don't have the nvidia sticker near the palm rest and device manager shows only 1 GPU under Display Adapters then you probably have the Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU built-in to the processor.

If you have the Z580 i7 model as listed in this pdf data sheet, then check these reviews as they list a bunch of games that are playable on the Intel HD 4000

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Benchmarked

Intel’s New HD 4000 Driver - Games Benchmark

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Embodien
Paper Tape
Views: 2,624
Message 5 of 6

I have an i5 is that irrelevant do the graphical capabilities?

Thanks
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,613
Message 6 of 6

hi Embodien,

If you compare a core i7 with a core i5 with Intel HD 4000 (with turbo boost enabled), the core i7 will be 15% faster when it comes to gaming. You almost won't notice the difference unless you upgraded to a discrete GPU.

If you want to upgrade from Intel to nvidia, you probably need to change the motherboard as most GPU's comes with a discrete graphics are soldered to the motherboard. (not really practical in my opinion, specially if you're on a budget - It's better to sell the unit and just add up to get a better one with a discrete GPU)

Regards,

neokenchi

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors