Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dental
Paper Tape
Views: 3,376
Message 1 of 7

Z580 How to get pre-installed windows 8 on new hard drive

Hello,

I just bought a Z580 with windows 8 and I also have a new hard drive coming.  The first thing I tried to do was create factory restore disks so that when the new hard drive gets here I can remove the old hard drive and replace it with the new one and put the pre-installed windows 8 that came with the laptop on it.  I can't however find a way to create factory restore disks.  Is this still possible and if not what are my options for replacing a hard drive for this laptop and using the same windows install that originally came with it?  I would prefer to not have to clone the hard drive nor order factory restore disks.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,364
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z580 How to get pre-installed windows 8 on new hard drive

Windows 8 offers it's own method to create a recovery drive, which will not burn discs, so you'll need at least an 8GB USB drive.

1. Open the Start screen
2. Type "create recovery"
3. "Create a recovery drive" appears in the list of results, under "Settings" (or simply run RecoveryDrive.exe)
4. Follow on-screen instructions.
This method was originally posted by andyp, our super mod
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
dental
Paper Tape
Views: 3,361
Message 3 of 7

When I try this it asks for a USB flash drive that can hold at laest 16 GB.  I do not have a USB flash drive that can hold 16GB, is this the only other option?  Earlier in the Create a recovery drive instructions there is a checkbox "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to recovery drive."  If I uncheck this then it only asks for a drive that can hold 512 MB and it also gives me the option to make it with CD/DVDs instead.  What does this checkbox mean, how would the recovery drive differ in its use if I have it checked vs not.

dental
Paper Tape
Views: 3,352
Message 4 of 7

I have read elsewhere that the created recovery drive cannot be used to install windows 8, so in the case of a brand new hard drive this will not be useful right?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,349
Message 5 of 7

See if this links helps
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=27
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
dental
Paper Tape
Views: 3,291
Message 6 of 7

No, this link does not help.  That is the same thing you were referring to before but it doesn't explain the difference of copy the contents of the recovery partition and not.  Also this seems to be something used to recover to restore points, that isn't useful for a new HD though that doesn't have any restore points.

I did come across this which seems usable on a new HD.  http://www.technoon.com/how-to-create-windows-8-system-image.html  However this seems to create a copy of your C drive so it will be the same installation of windows as well as whatever else is on there.  Since my new HD is a SSD I'm going to want to install the OS on the new HD in AHCI mode while the one copying from that would be IDE mode which is what it came as.  So I guess what I'm looking for is a fresh install of windows 8 on the new HD using the existing preinstalled windows key.  How can I achieve this without the windows 8 install discs since they did not come with the computer.

Agolden
Paper Tape
Views: 892
Message 7 of 7

I bought a new hard drive for my Ideapad z580. How do I install copy of windows8 from old hard drive(the old hard drive is junk).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors