Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sammy0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,542
Message 1 of 10

Z580 Random shut offs, screen glitches followed by freezing, occasional BSODs

Hello all,

I have a Z580 with an i5-3210M and a GT635M graphics card (also with an onboard Intel HD4000 gpu), 8GB of RAM running Windows 8 64-bit.

A few days ago, my laptop shut off while I was putting it under heavy load, it shut off in the same manner as a machine that has overheated - however, I am skeptical to think that this is the case, as I have put the laptop under more stress before without any problems.

Nevertheless, I took some compressed air and cleaned some of the dust through the vents.

An hour or two after booting the laptop back up and getting back to work, it happened again, I had been monitoring the temperatures and it certainly didn't overheat according to the sensors. I turned it back on, and shortly after the screen started glitching out (as though the graphics card was failing). Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

Link to full size image

Following this, I ran chkdsk (tried /spotfix and /f), seatools, some short ram tests, and purchased a cooler master laptop cooling pad. I reinstalled & updated my nvidia gpu drivers, reinstalled intel hd 4000 gpu drivers, reseated the RAM. All of the tests passed, showing no error, and I still experienced the same problem afterwards.

I noticed the CPU was a little hot (but not near shutoff temps), and started disassembling my laptop in order to reapply some thermal paste, however, I had to stop when I encountered the lenovo warranty stickers. I also noticed when removing the first cover underneath the laptop, there is visible marks on the cover and the metal inside that look like evidence of overheating.

I have also used the windows 8 "refresh" which uninstalls all of the programs and resets any settings/preferences while keeping all my files, I'm not sure if this actually made a difference, I stopped experience BSODs, however I still received a couple of random shutdowns and the graphics glitch in the photo above was one experienced following the refresh.

When these screen glitches occur, the computer completely freezes, pressing the caps lock key does not change the indicator on the front of the laptop, and I have to hold down the power button and restart it.

I have downloaded the lenovo solution center program and ran all the hardware tests that the lenovo software provides, all of them passing.

I have also stress tested the laptop using prime95 for the CPU and also have used RTHDRIBL to stress test the GPU, in both cases I experienced no random shut off / BSOD / screen glitches, despite the system being heavily stressed, temperatures reaching higher than when I am working.

I *THINK* (it has happened many times that I cannot remember) that everytime the random shutoff / screen glitches have occured, I have always been running visual studio.

My only theory I currently have is that, the laptop initially shut off due to overheating, and this sudden power loss damaged other components (e.g. GPU causing screen glitches), and corrupted some drivers (explains occasional BSOD).

(I have some more information about event viewer details, and running various other hardware tests which I will post soon.)

I hope anybody can give me some advice, thanks for reading this far.

Sam

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

micky1st
Paper Tape
Views: 1,511
Message 2 of 10

Re: Z580 Random shut offs, screen glitches followed by freezing, occasional BSODs

Dear Sammy 

I have also the same problem and noone from lenovo will help i tried almost everything but still have to face the same problem , also the warrenty will not help you so get rid of this bad lenovo

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Z580-Random-Crash/td-p/1139981

Sammy0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,474
Message 3 of 10

Re: Z580 Random shut offs, screen glitches followed by freezing, occasional BSODs

Thanks for the response micky,

It would appear this is a flaw in lenovo's design of the Z580 - one which I hope that lenovo investigates.

I have found posts other than yours and other than the person who replied to your thread who have had the exact same problem with the Z580.

Clearly it would be in lenovo's best interest to investigate the problem as it is somewhat affecting their reputation - yet from the replies in your thread it would appear that this is not the case.
micky1st, I noticed you sent the laptop in using the warranty, and they made the problem occur less frequently, is it possible for you to get any information about what action they performed? It would help us and many others with the same problem to have an idea what might be causing this.

Thanks

micky1st
Paper Tape
Views: 1,470
Message 4 of 10

Totally agree with you there is a big flaw in this model and lenovo don't respond to any of us 

just letting some young support team to respond with no experience 

When i go to service they said that it is the failure in the motherboard and they change it totally as they said to me that 

but as always lenovo style nothing happen the problem is still happening 

Sammy0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,447
Message 5 of 10

I worked in safe mode (with networking) for some time, the computer still managed to freeze/hang, however, there wasn't any graphics errors / screen glitches or flickering when it occured, it simply hung - processor or motherboard problem?

I'm think of reflowing the motherboard, but I would really appreciate someone with some knowledge to reply first :/

Sammy0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,406
Message 6 of 10

Well guys...

I backed up all my gear onto a USB, used the onboard "OneKey"(?) recovery tool (button next to power button -> System Recovery). I've been using the laptop all day so far (putting it under quite a bit of stress aswell), and as of yet I haven't experienced any hang/freeze/screen errors, ... this may well be just dumb luck, if it occurs again I will definitely edit this post.

Good luck, ..

Sammy

Sammy0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,382
Message 7 of 10

I've put the system under heavy stress today as well, and still no errors. I'm hoping it's fixed.

I hope you try the same and tell me how it works out for you.

Sammy

Sammy0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,339
Message 8 of 10

Still no problems.

I hope others try this and tell me whether it works for them.

jdaubman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,108
Message 9 of 10

I'm still having problems with this glitch, even after a clean Windows 7 Ultimate installation and installing the updated graphic drivers. Sometimes I can go for hours without a freeze up, and other times the screen will go bizerk at an annoying regularity. I'm convinced this is a software/driver problem and not a hardware issue, however.

Sammy0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,070
Message 10 of 10

If you're on a Z580 then press the button to the right of the power button and use system recovery to reset it to it's factory state, this is what fixed the problem for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors