Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tobymole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,548
Message 1 of 5

Z580 Synaptics touchpad app keeps crashing

Hi 

I have a windows8 z580 I purchased in December 2012.

The touchpad has never been great on it but recently it semed to be getting worse and worse so I looked at a few of theposts here and attempted to check out the synaptics driver setting...

So if I go to the control panel -> Mouse -> device settings tab -> select synaptics clickpad v8.1 -> click settings...

Then I get a windows error "Windows Shell Common DLL has stopped working"!! 

So I downloaded the current synaptics driver from the lenovo product support matrix and installed it...

No change at all still crashes windows DLL....

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

UPDATE: Have run driver verifier on the two synaptics drivers (smb & synpt) with no badness reported...

tobymole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,477
Message 2 of 5

Re: Z580 Synaptics touchpad app keeps crashing

Folks, is there no solution to this?

Has nobody else out ther got a correctly working windows 8 z580 touchpad?!?! If so what version of the driver are you running even? The most recent one from the lenovo website? Or an older one? Or one from synaptics?

I did search thte forums on this before posting, but nearly every single z580 trackpad issue I found was solved by adjusting the synaptics settings... my problem is that this very settings application is what is causing the problem!

I.E. A serious error BEFORE the settings application even launches!!

Thanks

P.S. I have ahad another mouse device (wireless mouse) plugged into the laptop. As I mentioned in my intial post update, I ran driver-verifier and there seemed to be no issue with driver interactions as far as I could tell. The wireless mouse also just seems to be using a standard Microsoft driver, so even less likely to be causing the problems I would have thought...is that correct? I've thought about uninstalling the synaptics driver and doing a clean reinstall, but to be able to do that I'd have to have the wireless mouse plugged in anyway, so any conflict that hasn't been discovered most likely wouldnt be resolved...

tobymole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,444
Message 3 of 5

THIS IS GETTING CRITICAL!!! 

The keypad more and more often has problems now. If a webage is loading the mouse freezes! Sometimes the swipe actions just stop working for upto a few minutes! Sometimes the trackpad software (i.e. whatever it is that runs the tray icon) just closes altogether!

This morning the swipe-down clock screen was activated by the mouse by itself! and then refused to close! THIS ESSENTIALLY RENDERED MY LATOP USELESS as with the clock screen swiped down I the pointer would not interact with the screen, the start menu would not open, etc!!!

WILL SOMEONE FROM LENOVO (or anyone else that has fixed similar issues) PLESE REPLY!

tobymole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,426
Message 4 of 5

Well thank you very much for complely destrying any reputation Lenovo may have had with me, my friends, or anybody I ever speak to again. It's great how this forum seems to have nearly nobody from Lenovo actually here and helping.

This problem has now got to a point where the OS actully informs me that the "intelligent" touchpad has crashed whenever I log on and leaves the screen completley white for about 2 minutes except for two very long meaningless identical error messages that stay on the screen for also about 2 minutes preventing anything else from being done.

The laptop is now effectively an oversized paperweight.

tobymole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 987
Message 5 of 5

So I finally broke down some time after managing to struggle through the win8.1 update and seeing no improvement, to refresh the laptop using the windows refresh your pc function, reinstalling all the windows, metro app and driver updates and then re-upgrading to win 8.1 and reinstalling all my applications.... EVEN THIS HAS HAD NO FREAKING EFFECT!

Considering this conforms to the very unhelpful response I received from Lenovo phone support when I first encountered this issue I am even more ticked off to still have this issue and once again have yet to hear a peep from Lenovo on this thread. Thanks a bunch.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors