Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pisarz1958
Punch Card
Views: 874
Message 1 of 7

Z580 - WLAN adapter issue

I've got Lenovo IdeaPad Z580, with Core i7 CPU, 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD.

Few months ago I noticed that my OS sometimes would freeze (making this freakin' beeping noise) if I moved my computer too quickly from my desk (weird). It got worse few weeks ago and appears to be somehow related to my WLAN adapter.

It mostly just simply - isn't working at all. WLAN switch disappears from BIOS setup, etc. like it was not even there. If I'm lucky (like I am now), it would work somehow. Just suddenly appears again in the BIOS etc. I can even use it on my Windows 8, but... if I'd move my laptop just a bit, it'll just suddenly freeze and rebooting results in WLAN adapter not in the system at all, or the connection drops out ("Limited Connection" etc. stuff). Restarting adapter from the system results in "No wlan networks found", wlan switch disappearing or freezing.

I tried reinserting the WLAN adapter, it sorta fixed stuff when I did it for the first time, I got a week or so without issues at all, but it came back again and reinserting it no longer helps.

First question is - what can I do with this WLAN adapter issue?

Second question is - while doing all this reinserting thing, my screws are a bit stripped now (but not completely, it's possible to get them unscrewed without any problems) because I didn't noticed my screwdriver is broken and ruining them. Is my laptop still covered by warranty? I haven't removed or broken any warranty seals in the process though, just screws.

Forgot to mention, by WLAN adapter is Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

pisarz1958
Punch Card
Views: 822
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z580 - WLAN adapter issue

My laptop was returned to me yesterday, it works!

Jegs23
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 811
Message 3 of 7

if this problem was solved please post how i mark it as solved

pisarz1958
Punch Card
Views: 804
Message 4 of 7

Repair Information mentions adjusting disconnected parts.

fixnit
Blue Screen Again
Views: 656
Message 5 of 7

I realize you sent your laptop off to be "fixed" but this is what was wrong and I found it myself and have had no issues whatsoever since I did this two or so weeks ago. 

Go to device manager and click on the network adapter (centrino wireless n 2200 - aka "culprit").  Then go to file menu "Action", choose Properties and then choose the tab "Power Management" - here you need to UNcheck the box that says "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".  Seems pretty darn obvious so I'm not sure why Lenovo Tech Support has been so lame with finding this and giving people a break.

Moderator Note; subject reverted to original

pisarz1958
Punch Card
Views: 635
Message 6 of 7

First thing - my issue is not OS-related, the problem occured also on Ubuntu and in UEFI, it even hanged in UEFI...

Second thing - unfortunately the issue is back, this card needs to be replaced, seriously. This setting does nothing in this case. Gonna test some of my own ideas and if it won't work, I'd be calling lenovo Tech Support again.

fixnit
Blue Screen Again
Views: 619
Message 7 of 7

Sorry to hear that.  Bummer. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors