cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,941
Message 1 of 15

Z580 WiDi can't get the driver to install.

When trying to install the driver it always says "This platform is not compatible with Intel(R) WiDi or the application is in use. 

Anyone able to get this to work. I wanted to play with it on my Nexus 4. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,928
Message 2 of 15

Re: Z580 WiDi can't get the driver to install.

WiDi Setup

Make sure you have all of the hard ware that supports WiDi.

You must have:

1. A 3rd or 4th Generation Intel Core Processor

2. An Intel HD Graphic card

3. An Intel Centrino Wireless Card

4. Intel® My WiFi Technology (Intel® MWT) and Intel® Wireless Display must be pre-installed and enabled.

See this list for the specific requirements:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031059.htm

If you have all the hardware listed above, then, see this list:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-032474.htm

Make sure you scan at the Intel driver site in IE. You have to update the following drivers to their new versions:

The order of installing is important!  Start with the video card, then the PROSet/Wireless WiFi, and the last is the WiDi Version.

Here are their current driver versions.

Video Card – Intel HD Graphics 3000 Version 9.17.10.2875, 10-17-2012
PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software Version 15.03.1000.1637
WiDi Version 3.5.41.0

If you have any problems, after you install the updated drivers, take a look at this post. He gave some interesting info about the PROSet/Wireless set up. You may have to follow his installation suggestion.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/P500-WiDi/m-p/974985/highlight/false#M74843

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,919
Message 3 of 15

It shows I need the driver on intel website when it scans my laptop... Also the details on newegg for my notebook says it supports Intel Wireless Display.

I have the Centrino Wireless-N 2200

Here is the product page on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310630R

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,909
Message 4 of 15

@bowenac wrote:

It shows I need the driver on intel website when it scans my laptop... Also the details on newegg for my notebook says it supports Intel Wireless Display.

I have the Centrino Wireless-N 2200

Here is the product page on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310630R

Which driver, did the Intel scan, indicate that you need?  Did you install that driver?

I'm DO'ing IT

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,907
Message 5 of 15

Yea I downloaded it but I get that error when trying to install it...

Oh and it says I need 15.5.7.52

And shows a Intel WiDI Widget Software but says my OS doesn't support it.

I can't install that latest wireless driver, I see it flash for a second and thats it.

But what ever this is clearly false advertisement by lenovo... It seems I am not the only one with this issue so. Must be another one of there bugs just like not being able to restore using One Click or Windows 8 recovery onto a new hard drive... Not wasting days like I did on that...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,892
Message 6 of 15

@bowenac wrote:

Yea I downloaded it but I get that error when trying to install it...

Oh and it says I need 15.5.7.52

And shows a Intel WiDI Widget Software but says my OS doesn't support it.

I can't install that latest wireless driver, I see it flash for a second and thats it.

But what ever this is clearly false advertisement by lenovo... It seems I am not the only one with this issue so. Must be another one of there bugs just like not being able to restore using One Click or Windows 8 recovery onto a new hard drive... Not wasting days like I did on that...

I noticed that the Newegg link you provided only showed the Graphics as NVIDIA Geforce GT 635M, and it was listed as "Graphic Type-Dedicated Card".

Do you have dual graphics, Intel HD 4000 + NVIDIA, via a switchable graphics option?  Look in your device manager. Do you see both the Intel, and Nvidia? Something like this (This is from my Y470)...

Display2.PNG

If not, it appears that you can't do the WiDi because it needs the Intel HD 4000 to be "observable" in the system.

But don't blame Lenovo for "False Advertising" because Newegg said it could do WiDi. If you bought a system with a "Dedicated Card", Newegg did the screw up on their page, not Lenovo.

Sorry if I can't be more helpful. Smiley Sad

I'm DO'ing IT

bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,890
Message 7 of 15

Really do you really need to ask something as simple as that... It has a i5 so obviously it has dedicated HD4000...

So to answer your question yes both GPU's show up...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,871
Message 8 of 15

@bowenac wrote:

Really do you really need to ask something as simple as that... It has a i5 so obviously it has dedicated HD4000...

So to answer your question yes both GPU's show up...

Well it's not a stupid question, when you see what the Y500 users have been going through, trying to make WiDi work on their systems. To put it bluntly, even though they have the Intel HD graphics, they are not able to access them.  See this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Wireless-Display-WIDI-issue-on-ideapad-Y500...

There's only one other thing that I can suggest. Make sure that no instance of WiDi, or the PROSet/Wireless WiFi, is running in your processes, on the Task Manager during the driver update.

You stated:

"When trying to install the driver it always says "This platform is not compatible with Intel(R) WiDi or the application is in use."

It could be that the application was in use when you tried to update the driver. If you end the process, you should be able to upgrade the driver. 

The last thing you should check. You didn't indicate if WiDi was pre-installed, by the factory, in you Y580. One of the Intel pages has that requirement.

"Software- Intel® My WiFi Technology (Intel® MWT)2 and Intel® Wireless Display1 must be pre-installed and enabled."

Is that a "simple question" also?

Since you're frustrated, and think I'm throwing you some softball information, I'll sign off this thread. I hope that some other Y580 user will pick this thread up, and provide you with a "Real Technical" solution. Cat Tongue

I'm DO'ing IT

bowenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,861
Message 9 of 15

For one its a Z580... It has everything to support WiDi and yes information provided to Newegg is provided by the manufacturer. And yes it was a stupid question IMO... but then again maybe your just not knowlegable with intels cpu's... This again would be an issue with lenovo if the built in HD graphics is not accessible. It is part of the CPU it is built in the CPU.

I'm not trying to be rude but these cheesy obvious questions are irritating and has been all I have received on this forum. Now obviously those people are unable to use WiDi either... now you don't think that has anything to do with Lenovo?

There are no instances of it running, that was the first thing I checked when getting that installation error.

To answer your last question, I spent a couple days trying to get a fresh install of windows 8 onto a new ssd. You might have seen my threads about it. Come to find out lenovo stated there is a bug on some ideapads that prevent this from being possible and they haven't been able to figure out the problem, the only thing  possible was doing a fresh install from the disks. So I did a fresh Win8 install via my own media, so no it would not be pre installed and that is why I am trying to install the drivers but they will not install... most likely another bug by lenovo. So yes IMO that is another stupid question, as if it was pre installed wouldn't it work? And if it wasn't pre installed I should be able to install the driver.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,854
Message 10 of 15

I wasn't aware there were such things as stupid questions in forums as members never know the level of knowledge or ability of those they are conversing with. it's also helpful to post a system's configuration in the opening post, explaining the situation, and steps already taken at solution solving in order to avoid possible superfluous questions.

Your system has the following graphic's configuration according to the IdeaPad PSREF;

NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology, auto-switch between discrete and integrated graphics, Intel HD Graphics 4000 in processor, and NVIDIA GeForce® GT 635M Graphics,

It also states that the system came installed with Win 8 x64 and shows the wireless card as;

11b/g/n wireless4, PCIe Half Mini Card, Intel Centrino® Wireless-N 2200

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors