Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nakamuro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,579
Message 1 of 9

[Z580] WiFi turning off

I'm using my Z580 for few days on Windows7 Ultimate (x64).

When my computer is idle, or not heavy loaded, my WiFi connection is stable. When I try to open an application that loads my computer a bit (in my case I wanted to play World of Warcraft on medium details), my WiFI connection starts to fail and eventually my computer closes WiFi connection with the router. When only I'll turn off the game, everything goes back to normal. Same problem noticed on another games, basically on applications that use GPU much.

Tried to reinstall WiFi drivers, didnt helped. Currently I'm installing another copy of WIndows, but loosing my hope. I have turned off every single "power saving" option that I've found (im running my laptop on charger most of time anyway), but it's still the same.

Any suggestions or solutions for problems like that? I would be happy if that is some fancy software problem, not happy with sending it back to the warranty service - in general I would be very unhappy that hardware I've bought isn't reliable.

Kind regards.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,537
Message 2 of 9

Re: [Z580] WiFi turning off

It's possible that the router isn't giving higher priority and bandwidth to your laptop thus making you drop connection. Go to your router and turn on QoS. (note that not all routers support QoS) Then add your application and set the priority to high.

An example would be something like this:

Spoiler

Capture.JPG

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Nakamuro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,529
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for quite fast reply.

As far as I know, my router is not supporting QoS. It's combined Thomphon's modem+router from ISP (in my country called UPC, but that's probably out of matter). However I don't think it's matter of that, as my whole laptop loses connection (it's not only matter of the game, ongoing ping 192.168.0.1 starts to return timeouts when I'll start the game, after like 15-30secs laptop drops connection with router).

Tried to do some troubleshooting, but so far failed. All I found is fact that running the game on hd4000 card (the integrated one) makes problem less annoying, but still increases my router-laptop ping from 1ms to like 200ms, unplayable.

Also tried to move laptop closer to the router (literally very close - under 1 meter), it's not loosing connection then, but still ping goes from 1ms to like 100-150ms, which shouldnt happen.

Tomorrow (10pm atm at my place) I'm going to borrow dedicated router, if it won't help as transmitter, maybe I'll be able to set it as bridge-reciever (seems to me in modern units thing like that should be possible), if not I'll just probably take the laptop to the shop to submit complaint.

Anyway still looking forward for some ideas, always better to get software solution than to wait 14days for repair Smiley Happy

jaybo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,501
Message 4 of 9

This has been a real problem for a while but...I'm quite sure I have found the solution! In Device Manager/Network Adapters/(your wireless)/Advanced there is a setting called "Roaming Aggressiveness". What this does is try to balance performance and connectivity. On my network (and I'm sure most others) there are several wi-fi possibilities, so when performance drops on the primary network it disconnects and tries to find another network. Of course, the other networks aren't connected so the wi-fi goes belly up. I have set this option to "lowest" so the wireless client will not roam (looking for another network). I haven't lost the connection all day(!) and I haven't noticed any difference in performance. Give it a try!
cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,495
Message 5 of 9

Another suggestion is to switch your wifi channel to where there is no overlapping between other channels from other routers. I recommend either Meraki wifi stumbler or Inssider. The best channel broadcast will give the most stable connection that's essential for gaming.
Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,478
Message 6 of 9

How about using ethernet instead of wifi, do you still experience the same problem?

Nakamuro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,462
Message 7 of 9

Solution with setting the roaming behaviour made my laptop to stop loosing connection, so it's partial win. However, while testing continous ping to my router, it was like 1 of 10 pings >100ms, couple of 100 pings timeouted.

I have bought dedicated router, windows signal-strength indicator went up from 1 point to 5, but ping still goes crazy..

Going to give it a try with loading my GPU for 100% and using the net a bit more, but affraid it will end up in warranty service.

// edit:

About LAN.. not satissfied with that option. Would have to buy like 25-30meters long cable for that, plus where's my mobility that laptop should give me.

However tested it by bringing the laptop to modem and connecting it with the cable, problem is not touching that type of connection.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,449
Message 8 of 9

@Nakamuro wrote:

Solution with setting the roaming behaviour made my laptop to stop loosing connection, so it's partial win. However, while testing continous ping to my router, it was like 1 of 10 pings >100ms, couple of 100 pings timeouted.

I have bought dedicated router, windows signal-strength indicator went up from 1 point to 5, but ping still goes crazy..

Going to give it a try with loading my GPU for 100% and using the net a bit more, but affraid it will end up in warranty service.

// edit:

About LAN.. not satissfied with that option. Would have to buy like 25-30meters long cable for that, plus where's my mobility that laptop should give me.

However tested it by bringing the laptop to modem and connecting it with the cable, problem is not touching that type of connection.

I believed that we are talking about troubleshooting here, so the lan connection isn't for permanent setup. It is just use to isolate which part of the system is the problem. I'm assuming that your router is connected to the modem where you can also access the internet using ethernet unless you are just using a hotspot.

Nakamuro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,433
Message 9 of 9

Yes, I also said it as effect of my troubleshooting Smiley Happy - when using LAN, there's no problem, that's why I bet on software/hardware problem related to wireless adapter

I've been testing my connection on local version of 'speedtest'-alike site, during 4hrs of WoW turned on, my average game-ping was floating around 50-100ms, and router-laptop ping average was 11ms (I've had running ping with -t opt for time of playing, and stopped it - packets lost 95/13000, max 3500ms), and speedtest result was around 1-2mbit/s. While playing online game, those packet lost hurt hard.

Few secs after turning the game off, my laptop is still warm (was running it with no fps limits). Current router-laptop ping is 1-2ms (test ran over 10mins, 0 packets lost, range of 1-3ms), and speedtest result floats around 25-30mbit/s. Odd.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors