Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ranjitaarao
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,428
Message 1 of 17

Z580 touchpad - opens Charms bar every now & then

It's been only a week since I purchased this.

Issue: If I left the system idle for a few seconds, the cursor gets stuck and when I try to move the cursor, it continuously tries to opens the charms bar. Yes, I use windows8. It is very annoying!

Please help!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,394
Message 2 of 17

Re: Z580 touchpad - opens Charms bar every now & then

hi ranjitaarao,

i'm not sure if this suggestion will fix the issue but can you try to re-install the drivers or update them from support.lenovo.com?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
ranjitaarao
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,374
Message 3 of 17

Thanks Yigit! Smiley Happy
But after I posted this,I realized that the issue is with edge swipe. But unable to figure out how to disable it.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,367
Message 4 of 17

i'm not sure if i understand what you mean with"charms bar" but can you try this?

win+i > change pc settings > general > make sure app switching is off.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
larrye200tasha
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,308
Message 5 of 17

Re: Y580 Touchpad Problem with Windows 8 - Charms Opens Inappropriately When Moving Mouse R to L

Charms are the new menu options provided in Windows 8 which appear in a vertical row on the rare right-hand side of the screen.  About 20% of the time when using the touch pad to move the mouse from right to left (starting from any place on the screen....not just the far right-hand side) the Charms menu inappropriately is opened.  This freezes up the mouse for a few seconds and often times requires the Escape key to be hit to close the Charms menu and free the mouse.  I have reinstalled the touch pad driver, but this did not help.  The computer has worked this way out of the box and I have tried several fixes to correct, but nothing has worked including turning off Charms.  However, when an external mouse is plugged into a USB port, the external mouse works perfectly and the Charms menu is never opened inappropriately.  This appears to be some type of Lenovo or Synaptics manufacturing or driver defect. 

jeffshead
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,192
Message 6 of 17

Re: Y580 Touchpad Problem with Windows 8 - Charms Opens Inappropriately When Moving Mouse R to L

I personally think Windows 8 is absolute garbage on a laptop. Win8 is designed for a tablet and it sucks on a laptop. The only reason I wanted Win8 was for IE10 for web development.

I've tried all of the "fixes" I've found on the Internet but none work on the Z580 to stop the "Luck charm" bars from opening and disrupting work.

Has anyone found a solution to this other than installing Win7?

CyberBeaR
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,176
Message 7 of 17

I also am a Windows 8 hater, but in name of speed I decided to stick to it, nevertheless I did some tweaks to make it look like the previous OS. 

About the touchpad problem, it really is annoying becase you can never touch from the edge. Luckily there is a way to disable it. I'm not at home right now so I can't give you the specific information, but do check the Synaptics Software, if I'm not mistaken on the last tab you'll see an 'Advanced' option, there you'll be able to disable the Gestures.

Your problem should be solved then.

CyberBeaR
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,167
Message 8 of 17

Am home now.

Synaptics Pointing Device (Right Click) --> Pointing Device Properties --> Device Settings --> Settings --> Edge Swipe --> Untick.

Smiley Happy

jeffshead
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,121
Message 9 of 17

I do not have that option in my settings. I have tried ticking and unticking every other setting but nothing works.

What version of the driver is on your computer? Mine is Clickpad 8.1 and Synaptics Pointing Device v16.2.10.5 16Aug12

ranjitaarao
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,104
Message 10 of 17

thanks cyberBeaR! Smiley Happy works!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors