cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krayzkrok
What's DOS?
Views: 270
Message 1 of 1

Z580 w/ nVidia 640M - should I download latest nVidia driver?

I have a late 2012 model Z580 with an Optimus GPU setup: an nVidia 640M plus Intel HD 4000. I switch regularly between them using the "Power management options" tool depending on whether I am traveling or whether I am playing games at home. Recently I've noticed more graphical artefacts and driver-related problems with recent games, but that's because I'm using very old (17 April 2012) Optimus drivers from the Lenovo website. I see these have not been updated since I bought the laptop over a year ago.

So when the nVidia control panel icon keeps flashing up a reminder to upgrade my Optimus driver, I am tempted to update it. It would no doubt fix the graphic problems I'm experiencing in games. However, I've been told by some that I should only ever use the official Lenovo Optimus drivers or I risk breaking the ability to switch between the Intel HD 4000 and the nVidia 640M. Others claim that is nonsense and it should work fine. Obviously I'm reticent to stuff things up, so could someone here please give me a straight answer? Can I use the latest nVidia Optimus drivers that are compatible with the Z580?

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors