Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NotATechie
Paper Tape
Views: 251
Message 1 of 4

Z585 laptop - replaced hard drive but need help using recovery disks

My z585 hard drive began to fail. I purchased a set of Windows 8 recovery disks (Windows 8 was the factory install I had before I upgraded to Windows 10).  After putting in a new hard drive, I tried to use the recovery disks following the method in my manual--i.e., put in first recovery disk, turn on computer, wait for logo or beeps and hit and released F12 key repeatedly.  Didn't bring up anything.  Also tried Method 1 per the support forum--i.e., "the prerecovery protocol" - without the recovery disk in the optical drive, turned computer on and immediately hit and released F1 repeatedly.  Again, nothing.  Did both of these procedures multiple times.  Without the recovery disk in, while turned on, all I hear is going through a loop of trying to boot. Also tried using the "one key recovery key" to bring up menu."  This works but when I try to enter either the BIOS menu or the boot menu, nothing happens.  I had the new hard drive tested to be sure it was good, since the one I previously purchased turned out to be defective.  They told me it was good, but the laptop is doing the same thing it did when the defective hard drive was in.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

subset
Fanfold Paper
Views: 213
Message 2 of 4

Re: Z585 laptop - replaced hard drive but need help using recovery disks

I can't tell from your post if you have access to the BIOS or not; if you need to access the BIOS, read here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Hpw-do-I-access-BIOS-in-Z580-Z585/td-p/1098017

If you have access to the BIOS, you need to change the boot order sequence. Generally, the first boot device will be 'windows boot', but you can modify the setting so that the 'CD/DVD drive' will boot first. You might also need to change the setting called 'OS Optimized defaults' to disabled, and Change UEFI to Legacy support while you do the recovery; you would change both settings back afterwards.

After those settings have been adjusted, if you save and exit the bios, the PC should restart and boot from the CD/DVD drive. If the PC tries to boot without the disc inserted, it might ask you to insert a disc, but it could possibly skip that boot sequence and move on to attempting to boot from windows boot option. All you would need to do is insert the disc, then restart your PC manually, and it should recognize the disc.

You should be able to get something started with those recovery discs, as everything you would need to initialize the recovery process is kept on a little chip soldered to your motherboard. So, unless there's an issue with the BIOS, you should be able to at least have the recovery disc tell you what the issue is, if there is one. I suppose it's possible too, that the CD/DVD drive is borked, but that's a different story.

NotATechie
Paper Tape
Views: 209
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your assistance.  Unfortunately, I am not able to enter the BIOS menu.  The only way I can bring it up is to start the computer by using the One Key Recovery key.  That brings up the menu that includes BIOS as an option.  However, when I select and enter it, nothing happens.  Same thing when I attempt to enter the boot menu.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

NotATechie
Paper Tape
Views: 206
Message 4 of 4

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I think perhaps this second hard drive may be defective. When I had it checked (at Best Buy) I was told it "initialized" which I thought meant it was good. Subsequently, I've learned that that just means the computer recognizes that there's a hard drive in it. So I will take it back, and be done with Western Digital products. Shouldn't be this hard to get this done.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors