Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 1,099
Message 21 of 35

Re: Z70-80 Hard Disk 100%

seems like reinstalling Chrome solved the problem. Pagefile.sys spikes from time to time, but nothing constant like Chrome was doing. I would say that seemed to be the issue, though I still haven't re-enabled PreFetch, SuperFetch, and Windows Search.

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,095
Message 22 of 35

@LoneWolffe wrote:

seems like reinstalling Chrome solved the problem. Pagefile.sys spikes from time to time, but nothing constant like Chrome was doing. I would say that seemed to be the issue, though I still haven't re-enabled PreFetch, SuperFetch, and Windows Search.

So that should settle your problem. After the superfish removal put everything back to normal and do probably some repair due to the damage done. You already done it with Chrome but there might be others.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 1,093
Message 23 of 35

I have to say, though, I still wonder about pagefile.sys hogging my hard drive for 40 seconds at a time. What's UP with that?

SS.1430426965.jpg

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,086
Message 24 of 35

@LoneWolffe wrote:

I have to say, though, I still wonder about pagefile.sys hogging my hard drive for 40 seconds at a time. What's UP with that?

SS.1430426965.jpg

You can adjust that manually in Control Panel. Right now I think it is handled by the system. If you have so much ram you can actually disable it and the hdd will not be use as a cache but your extra ram will be.

Shepeard32
What's DOS?
Views: 1,077
Message 25 of 35

LoneWolffe wrote:
wonder if i have downgrade rights to windows 7 on this machine. really, how many hard drives could have failed on this series. all of them?

Well, mine is a Y510p....And I tried downgrading, but keep on getting a driver error that doens´t allow me to begin the windows installation.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 1,063
Message 26 of 35

As it turns out, Chrome is not the issue. It has something to do with pagefile.sys, to which more than a dozen programs were writing at the same time. It would hog the HDD for 20-40 seconds every couple of minutes. Solution: Turned off page file. No more pagefile = no more HDD lag.

It still bugs the back of my mind that it was happening in the first place, but I guess i'll live with it.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,057
Message 27 of 35

@LoneWolffe wrote:

As it turns out, Chrome is not the issue. It has something to do with pagefile.sys, to which more than a dozen programs were writing at the same time. It would hog the HDD for 20-40 seconds every couple of minutes. Solution: Turned off page file. No more pagefile = no more HDD lag.

It still bugs the back of my mind that it was happening in the first place, but I guess i'll live with it.

I think you are just too quick for your system so that while it is trying to make the pagefile or load other programs you are expecting it to be done instantaneously.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 1,053
Message 28 of 35

Well, I do expect HDD loading when I first start my PC, and when I get ready for work I load Chrome, Excel, Word, Access, Winamp, and a couple of other small applications. I haven't timed it, but I think it takes about 15 seconds to load all that, during which time the system would be somewhat sluggish to respond. I can accept that, Smiley Happy

The HDD loading that I'm referring to occurs when I'm not starting or shutting down anything. When I was first investigating the problem, I only had Chrome running, after a fresh boot, and only with a few tabs open, and the HDD would sit at 100% usage for over a minute at a time, every two or three minutes.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 1,028
Message 29 of 35

So, what I ended up doing was disabling paging and problem gone. With 8 GB, I was using up to 80% RAM while gaming, just 65% while working, but I figured a little extra wouldn't hurt, so I swapped out one of the 4 GB chips for an 8 GB chip.

I can't say that I've noticed any issues with the new configuration Smiley Happy

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 961
Message 30 of 35

UPDATE: After two months running in its current configuration, I have not had any usability problems. Everything runs smoothly, even Star Conflict and Marvel Heroes, without so much as a blip. Call this solved.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors