Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drtechnology
Blue Screen Again
Views: 359
Message 31 of 35

Re: Z70-80 Hard Disk 100%

Just FYI...

It is a widely spread myth that disabling the pagefile improves performance. In fact it is able only to make idling apps open faster. But at the same time you can provoke different apps to crash or generate errors. So, it is not recommended to disable the paging file. You may reduce its size instead if you want increased resources.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 340
Message 32 of 35

Yes, I wouldn't recommend anyone do this unless they understand those risks.
"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 337
Message 33 of 35

I read this earlier and not sure why you had so high HD activity. There is periodic HD optimization which occurs. Other than that and Security updated checks Win 10 does initially there isn't anything odd taking place.

I have the same system with the hybrid HD. I don't run games but that was not your cause anyway.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 312
Message 34 of 35

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to the forums. I can tell you without a doubt that the high HD activity (and not periodic, unless you count 30 seconds every 60 periodic) was eliminated by eliminating the page file, and this on a fresh machine. It was the first thing that I had to figure out when I bought it, and I actually thought I had a defective laptop. Perhaps the only thing that prevented me from returning it was that had bought the laptop when I'd come home for a month from Peru. So I searched around and came up with the pagefile tweak.

Now, a year later, I'm wondering if my pagefile tweak has caused some other problem, because I've been getting random hard drive errors *facepalm*

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 304
Message 35 of 35

So anyway, I decided to go back and, just for giggles, I set my pagefile to the recommended size (not automatically managed). I rebooted and had high disk usage for about 3 minutes after boot. Then it settled down to what I would consider "normal." Then again, the high HDD usage I had a year ago also seemed to be random.

Will this solve my HDD errors? I have no idea.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors