Did you mean: 
Trella04
Paper Tape
Views: 271
Message 1 of 1

Z70 will not boot, cannot enter BIOS menu/Safe Mode

Hello,

I'm not very tech-savvy, but I'll attempt to articulate my issue:

I have a Z70, it runs Windows 10 64-bit. A few weeks ago I noticed it was taking longer and longer to boot. Soon 10-20 minutes, and as of this week, sometimes it won't boot at all. The power buttons come on, I can hear the fan and various rustlings of the motherboard working. 

Things I have tried:

Took out the battery, disconnected power cable, pressed power button for 30 seconds. Tried to boot up with battery alone -failed, tried to boot up with power cable alone -failed, tried both and it booted up within ~5 minutes. This strategy does not always work.

Booted via Novo button - it doesn't provide me with the Novo menu, it sometimes boots normally, sometimes doesn't boot at all.

Reinstalled windows 10, didn't work.

I cannot access safe mode, and I cannot access the BIOS menu. Any solution that requires restarts is already iffy because my laptop most often will not restart at all. 

I've seen some other posts that mention corrupt BIOS, is there any way to diagnose that without entering the BIOS menu? Or any other way of entering the BIOS menu without restarting my laptop? I've been looking at a lot of tutorials but, frankly they are intimidating if you know nothing of computers. Like, "simply remove the motherboard battery" isn't simple for me, I'm not even sure where my CMOS is and I don't want to mess around disconnecting bits of the motherboard because I'd probably break something. If that is the next step I'll have to take it to a repair person. 

But if there are other things I can try to diagnose whether this is a windows issue, a hardware issue, a BIOS issue, I am all ears. Regular hardware scans (via this site and Lenovo vantage) all come up clear, no viruses detected, battery is in good health. Would a factory reset help? I'm not sure I can even manage that without being able to access any safe modes/BIOS menus but if it might work I'll try to figure out how to manage it.

System Specs:

Intel(R) Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20Ghz

8 GB RAM

64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

Z70 Lenovo Laptop

Canada

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors