Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blue2501x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 19,087
Message 1 of 35

Z710 VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys) and related trouble

I just bought a refurbished Z710 (I7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 745M) and am BSODing with the discrete GPU. Right now, I just have Heaven 4, Kombustor (I have not installed Afterburner or messed with any clocks) and Minecraft on the thing, and it's running Windows 8.1. If you are not familiar with Kombustor, it's basically MSI's edition of Furmark.

The iGPU seems fine, it'll run Minecraft and Heaven in DX11 mode just fine. The 745M, however, is another story. It can go about five minutes in Minecraft before the laptop BSODs, and can go from 10 seconds to a few minutes in Heaven (1366x768, windowed, Low settings, no AA) before it BSODs. Heaven in OpenGL mode crashes immediately, before it's even started rendering. Strangely, it hasn't crashed in DX9 mode in Heaven. It went ten minutes in Kombustor (at 1360x768, windowed) without any problems at all except for throttling down as it started to get warm.

The laptop shipped with Windows 8, and Lenovo's Nvidia driver. It crashed in that configuration. I updated it to 8.1, and since then it has crashed with both the 332.21 driver and the 334.67 Beta driver, in both cases after a clean install, in the Beta driver's case a clean install after running Driver Sweeper.

Other things I have tried, to no avail:
>deactivated link state power management in windows power options
>set power option in Nvidia control panel to 'maximum performance
>set Nvidia control panel to prefer using the discrete GPU
>rename nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm.sys.old and replacing it with one expanded from the 'nvlddmkm.sy_' in the Nvidia driver folder
>run Memtest x86+, test successful with no errors

Also, I ran GPUz on the laptop, and while it ran fine when I had the iGPU selected, when I was looking at the discrete GPU, GPUz would freeze every few seconds.

I don't believe overheating is a problem here, as I have checked the fan, heatsink, and heatpipes, which are clean, and the GPU has never gotten hotter than about 75C, even in Kombustor.

If you can help me, please do, and if there's anything I can do to help you help me, please let me know.

blue2501x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,965
Message 2 of 35

Re: Z710 VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys) and related trouble

Bump.

I have decided to factory reset the laptop again and start from there. If anyone knows of anything else that could help, please post here.

blue2501x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,949
Message 3 of 35

Another Update: Ran Heaven on a completely fresh install. No updates or anything, just an un-modified factory reset.

No dice, she crashed just like always.

blue2501x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 18,907
Message 4 of 35

New update:

After about two hours on the phone with tech support, it was decided that I should send the thing in for repair.

It's really nice, I get to pay shipping to send back the product that arrived broken.

etnevel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,839
Message 5 of 35

So that means that it's a hardware issue not software ? Smiley Surprised It's a really bad situation for me , because I'm 3500 from my home so for me it's not that easy this ... Any other solution for this problem ? I'm really confused because this issue occours just sometimes , not all the time ... Any software update or whatever ? Because how I understand , that means that our nVIDIA GPU is defected ... Am I right ?

jsondag
What's DOS?
Views: 18,823
Message 6 of 35

I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried just about everything. I'm interested to see if a replacement machine will fix your issue. One thing I just found to try is in the nvidia control  where you select which gpu to use, set power management to maximum performance. So far I've been editing some 16MP images and no crash which I couldn't do before. It's only been a few minutes with these settings. I'll let you know how it goes. We shouldn't have to do this though, if the GPU is built correctly.

onikyto
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,809
Message 7 of 35

I am getting similar issues. I just recieved this laptop about 10 days ago. Initially i was impressed withe the build and the screen of the laptop.

Installed Steam. First game i tried was Borderlands 2, since Steam was having a free weekend. Ran beautifully, looked better than Xbox360.

Problems started when I installed Civ 5. In Win 8.1 mode, it uses the 4600HD graphics by default and looks ugly. Restarted game in DirectX 10/11 mode. Game launches, and quickly goes to BSOD. It runs perfectly fine in DirectX 9 mode.

Also getting BSOD running photoshop CS6 if i try to use the Oil Paint effect.

Updated drivers, Did factory reset. Nothing seems to work.

I really want to like this laptop, but it seems i am not the only one with these problems, and  i think i may be better off returning the computer while i can.

Quake94
What's DOS?
Views: 18,720
Message 8 of 35

Hi, I have the same problem with Z710 when I try to play Bioshock Infinite.

I tried different versions of drivers (R331, newest, default), and after a struggle I did eventually play the game without problems, but the next day the same thing happened - video_tdr_failure. I tried disabling tdr but after that I get an error "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" which freezes application and closing it is not possible - Access Denied (I'm administrator), which forces me to restart the system.

Have you managed to fix this problem?

jsondag
What's DOS?
Views: 18,703
Message 9 of 35

I haven't had a single issue after changing the global 3D setting in the nvidia control panel to Prefer Maximum Performance, under power management. Before it was constant. I'm using 334.89 Nvidia Drivers, and the latest drivers from intel.com for the integrated chip. 

The lenovo intel drivers were causing a IRLQ not less or equal error in Age of Empires 3, even with it set to use the nvidia card, since the display is attached to the intel card.

These settings really shouldn't be required. I have a suspicion that we happened to get some less stable cards that don't like to be stable at the lower power levels. I'm not sure it's worth it for me to try and exchange it, but if yours is bad enough, I'd make lenovo fix it and tell them they need to pay for shipping both ways.

Another "fix" I've seen but not tried is this...

Navigate to 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ GraphicsDrivers]

Then create a a REG_DWORD file called TdrDelay and set the value to 60 
ex. "TdrDelay"=dword:00000060 (60 seconds)

Then navigate to 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ GraphicsDrivers\DCI]

and Create a Value called

"Timeout"=dword:00000060

Having created both of these words in the specified paths, you need to reboot the machine. The timout issue should now be fixed.

etnevel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,654
Message 10 of 35

Well my problem is solved very simple !

All what I did is that I put the to the maximum performance the power saving option in nvidia control panel . So no more BSOD and no more quiting ! Everybody should try this , I hope so it 'll work for everybody as for me ! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors