Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vasigk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 394
Message 1 of 6

Z710 conservation mode not working correctly

Hello everybody, 

I have the following problem with my Z710. I use it mostly plugged in and so I have enabled "Conservation Mode" in Energy Manager. As a result I get the indication "plugged in, not charging" around 60% as expected. If I understand that correctly, it means that Energy Manager has to keep the battery charged at 60%, only it doesn't.

When I unplug the laptop after a day or two on conservation mode, despite showing the battery at 60%, it only lasts around 30-45 seconds and the laptop shuts down abruptly. I just get a "battery critically low" type of message and then I only have a few seconds to plug in the power cord and let it charge. 

Without conservation mode, with the battery fully charged, I can use it without a problem for 4+ hours as expected. The problem has always been there, since I bought the laptop about 6 months ago. Any opinion/advice would be greatly appreciated!

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 389
Message 2 of 6

Re: Z710 conservation mode not working correctly

Sounds like the battery had bit the dust. Charge it fully and see if it lasts a lot longer. But their diagnostic should flag the batter as bad if you checked.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Highlighted
vasigk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 384
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the quick response. When fully charged it lasts over 4 hours as expected, with no problems. The diagnostics are all good, so I suppose it is some sort of software problem (?). Is it possible that a gauge reset will set everything ok? But again, I have read a lot of comments on how a gauge reset may cause problems to the motherboard and I tend to avoid it...

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 354
Message 4 of 6

Well then don't do that. You can try what we used to do back in the day over a decade ago.

Run the battery down until it shuts off, then charge it back up again a few times. The last part to truly must be done in a mode where windows or some other OS is just sitting there without a power manager. Boot CD sitting on the blue setup screen for example or some thing else.

The other thing which you could  try is unplugging and using it until its down say 50% or less and the plugging it back in and see if it starts charging it back up in conservation mode. Over time it should relearn the capacity again without damaging anything.

vasigk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 342
Message 5 of 6

I've tried the second thing some times and the behavior is like this; when I plug it back at 50% it charges normally until 60% as it should. The problem seems to be that energy manager is unable to maintain it at 60%. The indication just freezes at 60% and the battery just fades to zero while the laptop operates plugged in.

The same "freezing" thing happens if I enable conservation mode when over 60% (for example at 70%). The battery fades while I get a stable 70% on my screen never falling to 60%. 

That's why my first guess is it's a software problem of Lenovo's Energy Manager, but I haven't heard of anyone else having the same problem...

I may try your first suggestion and see if anything happens. Thanks again.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 326
Message 6 of 6

Well at the top of the forum someone did not research their 580 and did the reset. Kill it !!!

Uninstall the manager and reboot and see how its with the windows native power management. Check their setting. You don't have a signature so I don't see your configuration or operating system etc Lenovo drivers to a large extent appear to be Beta (not proven) you are all doing the testing for Windows 10

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors