Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrconley4
Paper Tape
Views: 2,419
Message 31 of 75

Re: Z710 reboots on Lenovo start logo, 2 hdd's

The BIOS that I downloaded a month or 2 ago does not fix the problem.

The problem appears to be that if the BIOS detects the factory hard drive in the HDD bay, it will attempt to do a "turboboot." I'm not sure what that means, but that is what another poster said a few posts back.

In any case, the system gets confused on boot and what you get is a continous loop of the Lenovo splash screen, which can be interupted with an F12 boot config menu. The other option (that I do not use) is to use the recovery boot button.

Apparently you can get around all of that by swapping the factory drive to the caddy (and presumably booting from the new drive in the HDD bay).

thoschi
Punch Card
Views: 2,386
Message 32 of 75

Hello,

thanks for the reply.

Does anyone uses Linux as OS in a caddy-configuration? If the fastboot is the failture, it could be that Linux would work out of the box, because the bios loads there the bootloader shim (signed) and afterwards grub2 is loaded by shim. Then the bootmenu is shown and from there you can choose the bootmanager from windows or load the Linux-kernel.

Does anyone has a Linux-configuration like this double-boot-config?

Have a nice day

thoschi

LENOVO IDEAPAD Z710 59403383,i7-4700MQ,8 GB DDR3-RAM,1.920 x 1.080 Pixel,NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M,Hybrid (1 TB S-ATA + 8GB SSD)
milosavlevski
Paper Tape
Views: 2,344
Message 33 of 75

I believe this issue occurs due to hardware limitations of the Caddy (inability to handle SSHD drives, or inability to handle SSHD's capacity of 1TB + 8GB - most Caddys handle up to 1.000GB).

However, can somebody please try to disable Fast Startup in Windows 8 and see if the device will boot with the two drives in place?

thoschi
Punch Card
Views: 2,243
Message 34 of 75

Hello,

there are other Forums, which discuss the failture. If they are right, then you have to disconnect the hybrid-drive, exchange internal to ssd and caddy mounted with hdd. If the hybride-drive is connected to the z710 it falls into bootloop.

Does anybody knows, if a other hybrid-drive (different brand) is working in such a setup? 

Have a nice day

thoschi

LENOVO IDEAPAD Z710 59403383,i7-4700MQ,8 GB DDR3-RAM,1.920 x 1.080 Pixel,NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M,Hybrid (1 TB S-ATA + 8GB SSD)
Djole
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,916
Message 35 of 75

Hello,

is there anything new about this problem?

I tried HDD caddy with 320gb HDD and there was no startup loop.

When I try with 1TB hybrid drive or 1TB ordinary drive, there is startup loop in both cases.

Thanks.

ronlut
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,884
Message 36 of 75

Also interested, is there anything new or is there no way to connect the original 1TB HD as a 2nd hard drive using a caddy?

Thanks.

diaznacor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,845
Message 37 of 75

im having the same issue right now with my laptop

Dutchovo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,783
Message 38 of 75

The solution is quite simple. The problem is the original hdd in the Lenovo Laptop. With the SSD in the caddy just start up the system trough the recovery key and use the boot menu with the windows boot option. After the boot copy (read: cloon) the original HDD to the SDD. Replace the original HDD with the cloon SSD and then throw away the original HDD. 

Because with the original HDD in the system the boot problem will contain. Buy a new hard disk for use in the caddy. 

System should work than perfect.

rahulx
What's DOS?
Views: 1,733
Message 39 of 75

I have the same thing, I have the z710-01099 with samsung 850 EVO now in place of the original HDD and the original HDD in the caddy. This results in a boot loop which only can be broken by booting with the OneKey Recovery key or a bootloader. I really hope lenovo comes with a solution to this problem.

Bonovski
Punch Card
Views: 1,659
Message 40 of 75

Well, I'm joining the club.

This is really unbelievable. I spent 850 € on this laptop and all I have is problems. First the subpar display with horrible viewing angles and impossible to get any decent color calibration and now this.

Can anybody confirm that it works normally with any other HDD in the caddy?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors