Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 854
Message 1 of 9

Zeds Dead Baby ... the 570 kind

Hi, 

My partner got a Z570 15 months ago and has never given a moments bother until yesterday. it doesnt boot, no sign of life , no flickering lights, no sounds, dead dead dead. 

I have googled this a ridiculous amount and clicked every link so i hope you will appreciate that i have tried every variation of "press start button x times and then hold it for y seconds" imaginable.  

the charger is the only thing that give any indication of what is going on. normally the led on the charger is a solid orange. when you plug in her laptop its flashes like crazy. I plugged the charger into an old X32 thinkpad i have and it worked just fine. I have also tried the X570 without the battery plugged in and no joy there either, so i guess its not the battery. 

the nearest that I  think I have found as to a reasonable explanation for this out on the interwebs is here

http://techblurt.com/2011/07/19/lenovo-w520-bricked-wont-turn-on/     

sweet mercy help, she is going frantic over this. 

rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 829
Message 2 of 9

Re: Zeds Dead Baby ... the 570 kind

just sent this to lenovo-pop@medion.com

a/c ref - 50013xxxxxx

Model - ideapad 570 1024

Factory - KS

WB0323xxxxx

WB0109xxxxx

Manufacturing date - 11/09/17 (17th September 2011)

I have been advised to email you the details of my laptop and describe what is wrong with it as your telephony team have been unable to assist. I have also been advised that your SLA is 24 hours so if you will not be able to meet this then I would appreciate a note to confirm your SLA.

On Friday even the above laptop stopped working . It does not power on, either with the battery plugged in or not. I have tested the power supply on a ThinkPad X32 and it works fine. I also checked a different Lenovo supply form my local retailer and that did not work either. In essence the laptop appears to be completely dead.

I did quite a bit of research and found that it may be an error in a capacitor relating to boot up so have attempted to power up the laptop on several (dozen) occasions without any power supply or battery in it in order to release any static / residual charge but again no response.

The only thing of note is that when I plug in the power supply the normally steady LED starts to flash.

After much googling I came across this on your own website … In short it is a thread where your admin staff point to an issue with the BIOS chip and the only solution is a replacement of the mainboard.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/V570-No-wake-up-No-video-and-now-no-power/t...

Reading through the thread there is a common theme in that the laptops were made in mid September, factory - KS with serial number starting WB

I've no intention of paying for the repair of a manufacturing defect

You can respond to either

xxxxxxxx

or

xxxxxxxxx

rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 817
Message 3 of 9

isnt this strange. my partners friend has just had her laptop (same model etc) fail in the exact same way.

second laptop - 

wbxxxxxxxx
factory ks
manufactured - 11/10/17

(edit: I'm talking to myself here amn't I)

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 791
Message 4 of 9

had an email back asking for the model. ridiculous, since that was right at the top of my email ... for the sake of posterity i am going to keep posting our corespondence so everyone can laugh at me beating my head against a brick wall

My initial email contained the information you required. I have appended it below. It is disappointing you failed to notice this since it was the first thing in the mail.

Since then several things have developed.

1. A friend informed me the exact same thing has happened to their laptop (same model). Their details are WBxxxxxxxx, factory KS, manufactured 11/10/17. Do not mistake this for my laptop. Lets add theirs to this ticket, shall we.

2. On the off chance of something happening I plugged in my partners laptop and amazingly it switched on. When it tried to go into windows it blue screened giving a 09 error, indicating hardware error. I put some boot tools on a USB stick and ran memory and hdd checks which passed. Any attempt to run a CPU test immediately failed.

3.I then unplugged the laptop and now it switches on, gets a far as beginning to POST and then switches itself off. this lead me to posit a few things. possible failure in the bios, the CPU or the charging circuit. 

4. i have started a thread on your forums to keep track of all this.

original email text : -   

a/c ref - 500xxxxxx

Model - ideapad 570 1024

Factory - KS

WBxxxxxxxx

WBxxxxxxxx

Manufacturing date - 11/09/17 (17th September 2011)

I have been advised to email you the details of my laptop and describe what is wrong with it as your telephony team have been unable to assist. I have also been advised that your SLA is 24 hours so if you will not be able to meet this then I would appreciate a note to confirm your SLA.

On Friday even the above laptop stopped working . It does not power on, either with the battery plugged in or not. I have tested the power supply on a ThinkPad X32 and it works fine. I also checked a different Lenovo supply form my local retailer and that did not work either. In essence the laptop appears to be completely dead.

I did quite a bit of research and found that it may be an error in a capacitor relating to boot up so have attempted to power up the laptop on several (dozen) occasions without any power supply or battery in it in order to release any static / residual charge but again no response.

The only thing of note is that when I plug in the power supply the normally steady LED starts to flash.

After much googling I came across this on your own website … In short it is a thread where your admin staff point to an issue with the BIOS chip and the only solution is a replacement of the mainboard.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/V570-No-wake-up-No-video-and-now-no-power/t...

Reading through the thread there is a common theme in that the laptops were made in mid September, factory - KS with serial number starting WB

I've no intention of paying for the repair of a manufacturing defect

Moderator Note; s/n & other information edited for member's own protection

rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 766
Message 5 of 9

just dropped back in her to say that lenovos response was that it is out of warranty and i could give them a hundred pounds sterling for the chance for them to look at it.

So tough luck if you have bought a 570 and crappy manufacturing standards let you down.

Oddly enough just been using my old thinkpad which is just over 8 years old and still going strong.  

rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 718
Message 6 of 9

WG: Defective laptop ID[|#536686#7693224#5e30172#|] ID[|#071270#425222#4380132#|]

Dear Mr Killeen,

Thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry that you are experiencing issues with the power on you laptop. I can see from your account and the serial number of the machine that unfortunately the warranty has expired so we can arrange repair for you but this will be chargable. The costing for an out of warranty repair service is £100.50 for shipping and admin + the cost of any parts required for the repair.

Please confirm you require this service and we will make arrangements for collection for you.

If you require any further assistance then please do contact us.

Kind regards

Craig
rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 715
Message 7 of 9

comedy gold, which i why i raised this forum post of self flagellation from the grave . on the plus side i tweeted at lenovo UK that the customer service i had was cra and the sent me a message to get in touch with them. i didnt even see this for a week because i , like the folks at lenovo am human and can make mistakes. and apologise, and learn, and sometimes even make things right.

just plugged in laptop to see what happens after 2 weeks lieing in state .. totaly new eror message .... something a bit like TRAP 00000030 ========================== EXCEPTION ========================== tr=FFFF cr0=00000000 cr2=00000000 cr3=00600060 gdt limit=007F base=0001F000 idt limit=07FF base=F0800000 cs:eip=0007:00000050 ss:eip=0060:00000018 errcode=0000 flags=00000000.

good news 8 year old thinkpad still going strong. they dont make them like they used to.
len55
What's DOS?
Views: 619
Message 8 of 9

Exactly the same thing happened to me with my Z570 on Friday! I did a ridiculous amount of research before buying the laptop 16 months ago and it seemed as though the Lenovo would be the most reliable! The laptop is now completely dead and I work from home so it is a bit of a nightmare! I'm currently using an ancient desktop!

Did you ever get any joy with getting yours repaired? I don't fancy spending £100 to get told it's a non starter, I'd rather just buy a new laptop for £400. The irony is I now need to research what will be the best laptop to get so I'm back to square 1! 

rooha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 584
Message 9 of 9

Hi, 

I did get it sorted .. .eventually. Someone from lenovo gave me a call after i tweeted them to say how let down i was about the whole thing. I think it helped that i had two laptops that werent working. So they sent me 2l abels to get them sent back to them. this was to germany. i only used one label for both. 

when the two laptops came back one worked and the other didnt, although the included docket said both were now working. I think they said it was a bios upgrade that they did. Although i have no idea how they would have done that.

I used the second label and sent the non-working one back again and this time it came back working. In all honesty, my missus has never trusted the thing since as it has a tendancy to randomly reboot and the battery gave out a few months after all this nonsense as well. 

Hope you have some luck with lenovo. I think the trick is persistance, being public about it and not taking any crap about warranties. The 570 is lovely but not robust and thats what i stuck to. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors