Did you mean: 
Highlighted
amarettox
Paper Tape
Views: 774
Message 1 of 3

accessing the Z850 webcam connectors

Hi there,

I have a Z850 that I bought about a month ago with Windows 8 pre-installed. The first time I turned it on, I tested out the webcam and it worked fine. Only a few weeks later, webcam is being displayed as disconnected in Device Manager with this message:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

However, it display's its location as : 0000.001d.0000.001.003.000.000.000.000

I have tried everything I can think of, installed the latest drivers from several locations, eventually I uninstalled it from Device Manager and restarted in the hope it would be re-detected and I could re-install the drivers. Just now I have done a Windows 8 Reset that has caused it to show in device manager again, but even after I install the drivers it will not work in Youcam.

I am wondering about checking the connection, though as it was working when I received it and the laptop hasn't suffered any trauma or been moved around much I doubt that this is causing the problem. How difficult is it to see and check the connector cable for the webcam?

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? Is there an on/off switch on the laptop that I'm unaware of?

Again, any help would be much appreciated, thank you,

Seb

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 751
Message 2 of 3

Re: accessing the Z850 webcam connectors

hi amarettox,

It looks like there's a loose connection somewhere. To turn on/off the webcam, the hotkey is Fn+Esc, although some systems have a BIOS settings for the camera, upon checking, this unit doesn't have it. If this doesn't work, you can opt to check the webcam for loose connection by opening page 79 on the hardware maintenance manual. If you're still under warranty though, I recommend you let the lenovo certified techs check the cabling as you will need to remove the 13 peripherals before you can get to the camera cables. You can contact Lenovo for service here

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

amarettox
Paper Tape
Views: 741
Message 3 of 3

Re: accessing the Z850 webcam connectors

Hello neokenhi, thanks for the reply

I'm guessing that this is indeed the case, I've now tried to get the webcam going using Ubuntu Studio, Puppy and Windows 8... I did think it might be a case of completely gutting the machine of all it's parts to get to the connector! Thank you for the links, I hadn't seen the hardware manual yet. I am still under warranty so I hope lenovo can take care of this Smiley Happy Thanks again,

Seb

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors