Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomx2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,132
Message 1 of 3

battery issue - IdeaPad P500

Hi I am interest in purchasing Lenovo - IdeaPad Model: P500 – 59347559  laptop.

I notice reading the tech specification, the laptop has a 4 lithium battery permanently installed.

From reading a review of this model on Google, a user stated he was getting only 2.5  hours of battery time before recharging.

Can someone explain what should be the normal average time of this battery before recharging?

Also 4 lithium seems rather small size compared to other brands(HP, Dell) having a 6 to 8 cell lithium.

Is 4 lithium that max size that can be use for this model? If no, can I upgrade it on my purchase?

Thanks.

TC.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 6,090
Message 2 of 3

Re: battery issue - IdeaPad P500

hi tomx2,

From my experience, a 6 cell lithium battery can give you 2-4 hrs and a 4-cell lithium battery will give you 2-3 hrs.(depends on usage).

For the battery life, OEM's usually do a battery lifespan test from a 100% charge until the battery drains out. What they do is set the computer to idle & maximum power saving (setting power options to power saver, lower the brightness, etc.) then the recorded minutes from the test would be the maximum battery life. As for the usage, if you play videos, games, music non-stop then getting 1-2hrs battery life is normal. For moderate surfing and spreadsheet documents, you should get up to 2-3 hrs.

As for upgrading the battery, 4 cell is already the maximum capacity as this battery is a special design for this model (see page 40 of the hardware maintenance manual on how to replace the battery).. For charging, you can safely charge the battery when it goes down to 15 percent or less (about 2-3hrs of usage). To maximize the full potential of the battery, it must undergo 3 cycles (drain the battery then charge it back to 100%).

Click here for more info on how to take care of your battery.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Highlighted
IdeaTabaudio
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,086
Message 3 of 3

Re: battery issue - IdeaPad P500

You can extend battery life by turning down screen brightness, etc. It has a big impact.

My HP laptop has terrible battery life, unless I turn the screen way down.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors