Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jojo2
Paper Tape
Views: 10,600
Message 1 of 3

bios settings for usb

I just purchased a Lenovo Y70 touch. I want to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot 1st from USB, then hhd, and I have a couple of questions after entering BIOS:

1) I have a UEFI bootable recovery USB flash drive. This suggests to me that I could boot this flash drive from within UEFI mode.  Then, what are the specific BIOS settings on the 'Configuration' and 'Boot' tabs to enable me to change the boot order to boot from a UEFI bootable recovery USB flash drive first and then boot from the hhd second? Or MUST this UEFI USB flash drive still be booted with Legacy Support despite the fact that it contains files and folders that suggest it can be booted in UEFI mode ( bootx64.efi, bootmgfw.efi, bootmgt.efi, PE version 5, etc)? In other words, can I boot a UEFI bootable flash drive in UEFI mode? If so; what are the BIOS Tab settings to do so?

2)  If not, then when what are the changes in each Tab that I must make to boot the UEFI bootable Flash Drive (in Legacy Support mode)? And, after booting and implementing the recovery of the operating system image, should/must I then go back into BIOS to reset the mode from Legacy to UEFI?

Thanks for the help. Knowing what I'm doing will help prevent more serious problems down the road!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 10,585
Message 2 of 3

Re: bios settings for usb

@jojo2 wrote:

I just purchased a Lenovo Y70 touch. I want to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot 1st from USB, then hhd, and I have a couple of questions after entering BIOS:

1) I have a UEFI bootable recovery USB flash drive. This suggests to me that I could boot this flash drive from within UEFI mode.  Then, what are the specific BIOS settings on the 'Configuration' and 'Boot' tabs to enable me to change the boot order to boot from a UEFI bootable recovery USB flash drive first and then boot from the hhd second? Or MUST this UEFI USB flash drive still be booted with Legacy Support despite the fact that it contains files and folders that suggest it can be booted in UEFI mode ( bootx64.efi, bootmgfw.efi, bootmgt.efi, PE version 5, etc)? In other words, can I boot a UEFI bootable flash drive in UEFI mode? If so; what are the BIOS Tab settings to do so?

2)  If not, then when what are the changes in each Tab that I must make to boot the UEFI bootable Flash Drive (in Legacy Support mode)? And, after booting and implementing the recovery of the operating system image, should/must I then go back into BIOS to reset the mode from Legacy to UEFI?

Thanks for the help. Knowing what I'm doing will help prevent more serious problems down the road!

With the Flash drive inserted, go to bios. Enable usb boot. Look at the listing of devices and rearraged so that usb is first (although this is not necessary if the usb drive is already inserted but it is just place to comply with your requirement for arrangement of which to boot first). Leave boot mode in UEFI mode assuming that really you formatted the usb drive as bootable UEFI drive.

Note: everytime you want to boot, the usb drive must already be in the usb port before commencing with the boot process.

jojo2
Paper Tape
Views: 10,574
Message 3 of 3

Re: bios settings for usb

thanks for the help. It worked. What I did step-by-step was:

1) completely power off/down the computer (press & hold power button 15 seconds)

2) insert UEFI bootable USB flash drive

3) press NOVO button to access Boot Options (other Lenovo compuers use other buttons (https://craftedflash.com/info/how-boot-computer-from-usb-flash-drive-exp002)

4) Among the boot options (hhd, netwrork) was an option for USB-hhd

5) I selected the USB-hhd option and my USB flash drive booted (without having to change the BIOS Mode from UEFI to Legacy.

I hope this helps someone else with the same question.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors